There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

It's a big company, there's a lot of room for good teams and bad teams

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's very bright and sunny, which might seem trivial but I personally find it very good for my mood to work in a bright office. I like the financial aspects of the work, so once I found the team working on precisely what I was interested in, I became quite happy and satisfied. Don't worry too much about the "free food", most of it is junk food, though the fruit is great.

If you like finance more than cutting edge software engineering, you'll find it a pleasant enough place to work at (on the good teams). The bad teams, well, they are out there, do your homework before accepting the offer.

Cons

Some of the infrastructure is legacy. This shouldn't be a con for any seasoned developer, it's a fact of life, but if you're a whiny b straight out of college, you might find this distasteful. There is some politicking, and people get promoted partially based on their temperament and how well they get along with other managers. Again, this shouldn't be a con, but if you are young and naive, you might find this also to be distasteful.

The only really big con is the annual review process, which is a curve-fitted algorithm to award future compensation based on relative (within your peer group) performance. I would advise newcomers to negotiate as hard as you can before signing, because once you are in there's a good possibility your compensation will stagnate.

Revamp the project and trouble ticketing systems to better reflect the realities of software project development. Also, mix up the floors a bit, there's not enough casual interaction between R&D and other departments, despite forcing everyone through the 6th floor in transit.

1165 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

Slave labour

I worked at Bloomberg L.P.

Pros

Good name to have on cv.

Cons

Long work hours and not enough pay.

Fast paced, intellectually stimulating

Current Employee - Equity Data Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Equity Data Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance. Easy to move up career wise after 1-2 years of work. Great benefits, and ability to move around the company is fairly easy.

Cons

Overall great place to work. At times it can be difficult dealing with angry or disgruntled clients. Putting in for time off has to be done very far in advance .

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!