Brown University

www.brown.edu
  www.brown.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Brown University

Incredible

Current Employee - Student in Providence, RI (US)
Current Employee - Student in Providence, RI (US)

I have been working at Brown University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open curriculum, freedom to choose my own courses, and the environment allows me to educate myself in the best way possible.

Cons

Too much to choose from!

Make sure that everyone is on the same page

124 Other Employee Reviews for Brown University (View Most Recent)

Good for money, not for your resume

I have been working at Brown University

Pros

Being a student employee is really convenient and it helps to pay your incidentals as time goes by.

Cons

The jobs they have on campus are usually not all that useful for anyone's future careers unless they want to go into business or management.

Does not Pay Admin Staff Appropriately; does not recognize the contribution of Admins

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Providence, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Providence, RI (US)

I have been working at Brown University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent if you stay at least 5 years and then the 4 years for you child to attend college.
    RISD, PC, RWU and many others have much better benefits.

Cons

Pay is lousy and they know it, admitted in in President Simmons letter stating admins are paid 6% on average lower than the surrounding area for the same jobs. To compensate, they decided on a pool of 2% to increase salaries 2011. Do the math, with an increase below inflation when we were already 6% below the average, we continue to lose money every year we stay there.

The amount of work administrative staff are expected to do and the vast diversity of that work with the constantly changing "experiments" and software makes it impossible to do the great job we want to do. Being unappreciated doesn't help. Though you may hear thanks from faculty, the thanks is never relflected in the pay check. They also charge us over $500 to park!!! Not to mention, they took away our benefit of free gym membership, so we lost another nearly $400 if you count that as slaary. They steal from the poor to give to the rich at the university. I don't make enough to live here or to work at Brown and I only have one child to support. It's not a living wage!

Pay your employees appropriately. Give raises, bonuses and promotions to those that do so much for the university. Reward the administrative staff that continue to have an unreasonable amount of work piled on them. Admins, we need to start a union so we can be treated and paid fairly!!! For an allegedly democtratic university, it's not reflected in how you treat administrative staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Brown University