There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems

Good job with a few glaring problems

Former Employee - Tech Support  in  Shelton, CT (US)
Former Employee - Tech Support in Shelton, CT (US)

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Other employees and the management in the call center itself were for the most part very nice

Pay/benefits were good (The full 220$ cable+phone+internet for free was nice)

I wasn't overworked at all (this is HUGE) Overtime was completely voluntary and they even let some people take voluntary time off when it got slow.

Tools were very useful and what we needed to get the job done, most of the equipment in the call center was in good shape and when computers went bad they were repaired quite fast.

Employees were provided very good coffee and tea (best coffee i've ever had)

The special events were very fun

High amount of contact with supervisors means you get good feedback on your performance.

When you do really good with your metrics you get recognized/rewarded for it.

Building was always very clean and neat. (Really good cleaning staff)

Recreation room was amazing.

Lead technicians were extremely helpful.

Cons

Almost any time there was a meeting we were getting handed more sales and customer service responsibility that we were supposed to preform during the same low call time. (meetings were once a month)

If customers are really nasty (insulting, screaming, or just plain crazy) you are forced to deal with them because you cannot hang up on the customer for any reason at all. (there were a few re-occurring customers that were crazy and would talk conspiracy theories for hours and there was no way to get rid of them and they would screw your stats for the month.) Also you are unable to be mean or unhappy with customers resulting in some customers getting angry from your faked happiness.

Transparently the job is to rush the customer off the phone as quickly as possible, if you fix their issue then good but at the end of the day call times are god. (this causes lots of customers to call back because their issue wasn't resolved. With each callback they get more and more angry resulting in some really seriously pissed customers.) I was point blank told by a supervisor to "Stop helping the customers so much" so that I could lower call times.

Promotion is almost exclusively based on call times, making the techs that just refer out customers get promoted while the techs that fix issues get let go.

Turnover rates in the ool/ov tech support call center were very high with most employees lasting less than a year. (By the time I left most of the people in my training class and the ones after mine were long gone.)

While I was there despite the high turnover they didn't hire more people resulting in increased stress on the techs that were there as well as increased wait times for customers. (which made them pissed before we started.)

Communication between tech support and the other departments such as the field techs and the customer service department was unsatisfactory, resulting in tech blaming field service for issues and vice-versa.

Sales would make promises to customers to get them to sign up that we could not keep resulting in angry customers all the time.

When customers ask for a supervisor often times no one wants to take the call and they try to make you resolve it with a customer that is all but committed to not work with you.

Only given 30 min personal time to use between breaks if you are someone who pees a lot then you will burn thru this within the first few weeks making you have to hold it until a break. (taking personal time when you don't have any is really looked down on.)

If you do not have sick time you are expected to come in sick, they do not take doctors notes for illness. (got a verbal warning for being out with the flu despite having a doctor's note.)

Job itself is Extremely high stress, cannot fault the company for this its the nature of the beast, just be ready for it going in, you will be treated like crap by some customers and others will be a pleasure, its to be expected when dealing with the public. (If there was a major blizzard/snowstorm/ice storm/thunderstorm things became so hectic at least 1 person would quit)

Employees are tested quarterly on technical knowledge (I actually enjoyed this but if you hate tests you wont like this.)

Tech support is NOT a sales position.

Need greater number of samples of calls for QoS (3 per month is quite low)

Call resolution and customer satisfaction should mean a lot more than it does.

More communication between the field service department and tech support would reduce finger pointing/people getting lost in the cracks.

Make sure that sales is educated on what we can and cannot do in tech support and doesn't lie to customers to get them to sign up, doing this would only result in them becoming furious.

308 Other Employee Reviews for Cablevision Systems (View Most Recent)

if you like change on a weekly basis this is the job for you

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Piscataway, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Piscataway, NJ (US)

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

commision is good if you are goal oriented and a big time competitor. you can make very good money with no experience

Cons

policies change too much. once you have your commision structure down pack they change it so you have to learn a new system and when you almost learn the new system they will add a new one.

just use one system and stick to it stop making it difficult. its a great place to work other than that.

Rain, heat, snow, sleet.... Knocking on people's doors....no fun at all.

Former Employee - Residential Account Executive  in  Bethpage, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Residential Account Executive in Bethpage, NY (US)

I worked at Cablevision Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training and sales support

Cons

A lot of people have a big problem with the public image of the owners of the company. You have to go into unsavory neighborhoods and knock doors until 9PM, all year long.
    You get paid on installs the following month. Poor service at installation cost me a bunch of sales due to customer cancellation.

Don't use subcontractors for win back installs.

There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems

Worked for Cablevision Systems? Contribute to the Community!