There are newer employer reviews for Catalyst Paper

Catalyst Paper

I have been working at Catalyst Paper

Pros

pay is union negotiated and good if you can get work

Cons

Union breaking seems to be the plan. Company pits it's mills and unions against each other in an effort to break contract pattern. No jobs, no future,

Respect the people who make your product. Note, we do not control the CDN vs US $ .

7 Other Employee Reviews for Catalyst Paper (View Most Recent)

Enjoyed working with the people there...

I worked at Catalyst Paper

Pros

Competitive compensation plan and nice work environment.
    Used to be a good place to work with many good people around.

Cons

No future for people that still have many years left, it is kind of normal for companies in paper industry.

Nothing much to say really...I guess you have tried everything you could, maybe it is time to let it go.

Great place to work if you've only got a few years left to work and want to retire on Van Isle.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Catalyst Paper

Pros

You get to live on Vancouver Island and work in a company full of great people to work with. The most cooperative atmosphere I've ever worked in, very few ladder climbers and a stable, low-turnover workforce.

Cons

The company is in a sunset industry and has not invested the necessary capital to make their mills competitive. As a result they are continuous shutting down non-competitive equipment. This leads to the constant fear that there is another downsizing coming around the corner so you cannot make any long term life plans, are afraid to buy a house in town and always have one eye on the classified ads. This is not a concern if you're financially set and only a few years away from retirement, but for younger folks trying to make a life it is not viable.

Make the cuts hard and fast then invest in the remaining assets to make them competitive.

There are newer employer reviews for Catalyst Paper

Worked for Catalyst Paper? Contribute to the Community!