Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Unstable, uncertain

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are great. Hard working, dedicated and trying to do the best job possible. The work/ life balance is favorable and I've generally found it easy to move around between positions. The people with whom I directly work feel strongly about the value of working on educational materials despite the challenges of our industry.

Cons

This industry and this company are undergoing major transitions. We have weathered several large departmental reorganizations with more to come. It's unsettling and demotivating. Despite the company's talk about focusing on digital, from a product development standpoint that's proving to be easier said than done when digital products take weeks and weeks to produce, so there's little speed to market. it's also hard to trust upper managers who either aren't transparent or don't know what they're going to do two months out so give no notice regarding strategic changes. Much comes across as though it's done on a whim with little planning or forethought.

Please stop changing strategies without giving them a chance to work. Please stop reorganizing so frequently. Please involve employees from all levels in some decision making because we could have told you certain things were going to fail, which they did.

413 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

What was once an incredibly energetic, forward-thinking, mindful organization.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, this company felt like a large family. There was a spirit of community, sharing of resources and market knowledge, going boldly where others feared to tread (without punishment should the experiment fail). The various imprints were well determined and recognized as leaders in their respective disciplines. There are (inexplicably) still some amazingly creative and dedicated people still working here.

Cons

The avalanche began just as soon as the new name (inspirational? I think not) was launched, and new management took their seats. Cengage is hardly the center of engagement, rather it is the center of chaos. There is no longer any brand recognition other than the fact that Cengage's texts cost significantly more than the competitors'. We were (of course) told to tell our customers that it's not really about price, but about superior content, superior service, superior teaching and learning tools. None of these elements truly exist, and the customers know it.
    The lack of focus, bi-monthly (often monthly) changes in direction, absurd accountability goals (I mean absurd, not aggressive), and no unifying digital story has turned what was once a really fabulous place into a mud pit. Morale is terrible, lay offs have been swift, extensive and come with no warning, and adding price increases every season is such a blind move--it's absolutely clear that upper management either doesn't care about the employees who work long hours through the work week as well as weekends so as to keep up with endless minutia, and/or is only concerned about their 6-figure salaries and bonuses.
    Too bad. What was once a lot of fun turned out to be "just another job".

Move over and let another team pick up the scraps and start all over again. Everyone knows this place is a mess--not only current and former employees, but customers and the media.

lots of potential - unfortunately favors idiocy and bad managers

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package is decent, some very talented folks around, interaction with Sr mgmt is ok (but watch your back)

Cons

Technology in use is generally way behind. CLTS mgmt is highly against any type of automation, segmentation of roles is extreme and generally does not favor technologists reaching across and lending a hand, too process oriented, and very political. Promotions generally favor those who brown nose, and not the folks that are able to generate results

Stop putting divisive people in managerial roles, and use the talent you have in house. Stop favoring developers that don't have the proper backgrounds, and stay away from buzzwords (Agile being the top one - they had no idea how to implement, and so hired lots of people from small shops that had zero idea how to work in enterprise and completely ruined the premier product we were building - Mindtap/Nextgen, not to mention the Gale product suites).

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning