Colgate-Palmolive

www.colgate.com

Highly political.

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

With the exception of paid time off, good benefits. Lots of training and employee activities. I had an office when I was there but those have been eliminated recently. Some opportunities for overseas assignments especially if you work in Finance.

Cons

Extremely political. One person doesn't like you and you can be gone without knowing what happened. Also, some departments - particularly sales - are the typical "old boys network". Very conservative. Even in the worst heat of summertime, men are expected to wear long sleeve shirts and ties. In some ways felt like high school with all the "cliques" - just look at the cafeteria and how departments have lunch together and talk about other people.

More emphasis on better managers and people development.

Other reviews for Colgate-Palmolive

Stable, well-respected and a company of high integrity

Pros

Diversity is one of our hallmarks. Where I am located there has to be at least 20 nationalities represented. It is definitely a "pro-family" company which offers many perks and benefits to employee children such as back-up daycare, discount tickets to amusement parks, children's holiday parties, and so on. A new program to offer detailed rotational orientation to new employees is a great hit. The Company Store is another perk that most of us enjoy immensely.

We also have flex-time work hours and more recently, telecommuting for up to 2 days/week.

Colgate offers tuition assistance to its employees. Many of us earned our degrees there, and are indebted to the Company.

We have an open-door policy and a "flat" organization, which is WONDERFUL! I can walk into a manager's office for a quick chat, sometimes without a prior appointment.

We have many affinity/network groups that offer support and leadership/skill development opportunities during business hours (most times over lunch).

We are a teaching company - at least at my location. We are always sharing new ideas, new information or new concepts. I LOVE that!

Cons

Once you are given a task and you excel at it, you're basically "stuck". You are known as the expert after a few successful launches, project completions, etc. and it is difficult (at best) to get an opportunity to try something new. Several people had to leave the Company just to get an opportunity to try another area. The Company seems to be doing more now to address this issue as many are being approved for short-term assignments in other areas.

It is tough to find great managers. Many bosses have amazing personalities with lots of expertise and knowledge - but struggle with effective people management skills. Hopefully the Company will begin the process of training new leaders earlier in their career vs. waiting until managerial promotions occur to train them. It is probably too late then....

Promotions are DIFFICULT to earn. Seriously. You can prove yourself to be ready for promotion, only to have your job responsibilities "updated" or "revised" and you have to start all over again to prove yourself. This can happen more than once, and in this way many years can pass without a promotion.

Identify leaders in your company (even before they are officially promoted) and begin preparing them for management early. The earlier they are aware of what it takes to lead, the easier the transition will be once they are officially promoted to leadership positions.

Fulfilling

Current Employee - Manager GIT  in  Morristown, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager GIT in Morristown, NJ (US)

Pros

1. Excellent work life balance : The company truly cares for its employees personal priorities
    2. Lot of focus on development of the employee : A lot of effort is put into planning development of individual careers
    3. Challenging work : Lot of fulfilling work available

Cons

1. Not enough dynamism in overall company strategy : The company does not appear to care much about achieving a higher growth rate (topline or bottom line)
    2. Too system driven : Almost bureaucratic in the approach in many areas
    3. Too cautious in decision making.

The top management needs to focus on building strategies for generating higher topline growth to provide faster growth opportunities to employees to grow their careers. This could include inorganic growth options (mergers and acquisitions).

There are newer employer reviews for Colgate-Palmolive.

Worked for Colgate-Palmolive? Contribute to the Community!