Comcast

www.comcast.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Comcast

Great company, misaligned tax department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Comcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Size of company - health and dental insurance costs are fairly low
Free cable/internet and deeply discounted phone service for all FTE
401k match
Commuter benefits

Cons

SALT tax department management does not know how to manage. Employees are either afraid of director, or not happy, but would never speak up due to fear of retaliation. Employees are too concerned about what everyone else is doing and not concerned enough of how much work is getting done; therefore, long hours are put in and expectation is set such that everyone should be there late into evenings. Poor work life balance.

Take courses on how to properly manage employees and treat everyone fairly

2522 Other Employee Reviews for Comcast (View Most Recent)

Great People and great location

I have been working at Comcast full-time

Pros

Great Company and great perks

Cons

Difficult to understand management structure

Become less top heavy

Not terrible, but I won't stay.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer

I have been working at Comcast full-time

Pros

Employees get discounted cable, phone and internet services. For the most part, you're left to manage yourself and your projects. The schedule is somewhat flexible, and the PTO is pretty good.

Cons

Even though there’s absolutely no reason to be in the office, working from home is frowned upon. You can do it, but not regularly. It lends to a babysitting mentality.

There are a lot of “Rah, rah. Ain’t Comcast great” meetings. Who has time for all the meetings? Quarterly meetings, monthly meetings, weekly meetings. And this doesn’t include project meetings. It’s a lot of Kool-Aid to drink. It can be trying, especially as we’re understaffed and have a significant amount of backlogged work. Subsequently, deadlines have become tighter and there's more pressure.

Health benefits have gotten progressively more expensive, which may be typical for every company. Noteworthy though since increases are revealed shortly after a meeting announcing how great the company is doing financially.

All this might be tolerable if not for the pay. It’s WAY below industry standard. If my salary were competitive, I’d stay and not mind working occasional nights and weekends to meet project deadlines. Attempts to increase your salary beyond the minimal raise is met with platitudes about the value in all the free services you get. Like I’d pay for every channel known to man if I didn’t work here. It’s factored into your compensation package though. There is a bonus that consistently gets paid out with the company doing so well (as monopolies tend to do), but it’s nothing impressive – 8% for non-managerial positions.

It’s a good place to get experience. And then move on to get paid what you’re worth.

Let employees that can work from home. Champion for better pay.

There are newer employer reviews for Comcast