There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Bartlesville, OK (US)
Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company values work/life balance, has decent salaries and benefits, and is general not a bad place to work, especially if you are early in your career. If you pursue them and have great support from you manager and other people through networking, there are many doors available for advancement. This could mean leaving your current role and getting out of your comfort zone; but they are willing to train you if you show the aptitude and desire.

Cons

It seems some of the processes and procedures are dated, as if they are behind in the technology world we are in now. However, they are taking steps to improve this. Also, as probably in most locations, there is the good old boy mentality in some of the older leaders, as they continue to advance people based on other qualities not related to job performance.

Continue to make some of the changes to match today's environment in this technological age. Please monitor how some of the old regimen is handling the respective departments.

299 Other Employee Reviews for ConocoPhillips (View Most Recent)

Experience has been ok, nothing special

Current Employee - N/A  in  Bartlesville, OK (US)
    Current Employee - N/A in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- New CEO Ryan Lance seems like he cares more for his employees than Mulva did.
      (example: he did away with Mulva's joke of a forced rankings system)
      (example: he recently raised the bonus target rate for certain salary grades.)
    - Good retirement (although not as good as Devon's) and health benefits/insurance.
    - 19/30 days (work an extra 30 minutes each day and get one day off a month & doesn't count against vacation days)
     - Good work/life balance

Cons

- The leadership in my department once told me that we do not make counteroffers to employees that have received a better offer for another company. Seems pretty foolish
    - Average raises usually are around 3.5 - 4.0 percent (can be more depending on rating)
    - Some departments like to "spread the wealth" so they will alter who gets the 1 and 2 ratings each year. For example, if you get a promotion in 2012, you would automatically get the standard 3 rating that year. It is very rare to get a 1 or 2 rating two years in a row even if you do the best work.
    - HR has just as much of a say as your supervisor/director does on when you get promoted.
    - Promotions are just 6%. I know for a fact that this is not the case at CHK or Devon.
    - We don't find the oil, we just follow everybody else to it.

Mr. Lance, if it is true that COP does not have a counteroffer policy how can we expect to retain our top talent and be competitive? And if we do have a counteroffer policy, perhaps you should schedule a "lunch and learn" for the leadership in Bartlesville because they are apparently unaware of it.

Advice to college new hires: If you get an offer to come work here then you should accept the offer. Come and work here for 5 or so years and then go to another company because they will end up paying you a lot more and will value your experience more than COP will. And if you happen to come work in Bartlesville, do NOT buy a house because that's just asking to be trapped.

Great Employer

Former Employee - Human Resource Business Partner
    Former Employee - Human Resource Business Partner

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Would still be working there but had to relocate to a country where they did not have a presence.
    They value their employees, encourage work life balance, ensure personal and professional development, foster a diverse cultural environment and conduct many CSR projects.

Cons

Didnt have any issues. Perhaps in the smaller offices there is less room for development unless you are willing to relocate for an assignment. (but that would be the case with any employer in the same situation)

There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!