CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

Management is cold & clueless. The food is good.

Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros1) The office furniture is nice
2) Ping-pong table
3) The chef is a very good chef.
4) Good health benefits to balance the stress and hostility from Management.
5) Mediocre severance

Cons1) Co-workers disappear from the office and you don't know until weeks later that they were not on vacation. This happens monthly!

2) Company relies heavily on a media façade to spin the negative comments of the Community regarding the Corporate take-over of the company and the deletion of website features.

3) Product & Management has background in games and doesn't understand the CouchSurfing community or why the product (which they inherit) was successful in the past. This leads to poor design decisions, wasted engineering hours, and lots of last-minute pressure to deliver last-minute changes.

4) "Unlimited vacation" is NOT good like it may sound. Unlimited vacation mean you only take vacation if your manager lets you (even if you earned the vacation). State of California requires employer to pay you untaken vacation hours when you are terminated but unlimited vacation avoids this because you do not earn any vacation hours. Basically it is a trick to avoid having to pay for unused vacation hours when they fire you.

Note: They are writing 5-star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the negative reviews. Read the positive and negative ones and make decision yourself. It is the media propaganda game like all the internet is! My recommendation: Don't work too hard, don't work overtime, and be prepared for termination regardless of how good your performance is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect. Don't rely on media to pretend that you are a respectful & cultural company. You clearly doesn't care about employees or about the people in the Community. Don't see the Community and your employees as data points.

Also, Stop lying.

In another review a person wrote "Couchsurfing has (finally) completed planned lay-offs of low-performing staff" which is just trying to create a scapegoat for the management's poor performance and mistakes. For example, the latest website updates which took much longer than anticipated, and look & perform poorly.

Hire and fire

Mobile Applications Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: The couches in our giant sky-lit office in San Francisco are comfy. Top-of-the-line medical, dental, and vision. 100% company-sponsored for employees. 50% for spouses and dependents. Extra… Cons: There's no strategy and no vision. A lot of stress and panic lately, resulting in last minute cancellations. If they don't fire me… Advice to Senior Management: Start telling the truth and listen to our customers. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

What was once a user-centric, hospitality-driven trusted community is quickly turning into just another travel website

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time for more than a year

Pros: Many of the people who work at CouchSurfing are wonderful, but leadership leaves much to be desired. Members of CouchSurfing are extremely passionate and… Cons: I agree with another reviewer who said that this has turned into a hierarchical organization run by a culture of fear. There have been… Advice to Senior Management: It's one thing to talk about having a strong culture, and another thing to practice what you preach. Diversity in perspectives, skills, nationality, background… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!