Dell

www.dell.com
  www.dell.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Great pay, abusive environment.

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Dell

Pros

Great financial compensation. Very challenging.

Cons

Border-line abuse. The corporate culture says one thing, but, in some cases, managers treat employees however they want. They know it is very difficult for individuals to sue such a large company and some managers are border-line abusive. They also use malignment and rumors that are not factual, to destroy careers.

Walk your walk. If you want good people, be sure your people are being treated fairly all the way through the organization. I believe part of the reason you are in the situation you are in, and not HP or IBM is because you have burned through a lot of good talent and the word on the street is to stay away. As a result you are only attracting the people that are marginally talented, but will work hard. You need to attract the very talented (by treating them right). The very talented don't have to put up with the Dell crap, so they have chosen to go (or stay) elsewhere.

3696 Other Employee Reviews for Dell (View Most Recent)

This is a decent place to start your career, but do not expect a well thought out career path.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Buffalo Grove, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL (US)

I worked at Dell

Pros

There is a friendly culture and most of the people are nice. There is no real formal dress code which is a plus. The benefits are on par for a mid size company, but not overwhelming. Compensation appears to be decent.

Cons

Promotions are based on office politics and not on merit. Promotions also can happen by seniority instead of people who actually deserve them.

Senior management is good overall. No real complaints there. Middle management is another story. Most are not qualified and are only in the position based on time with the company.

Once great company stifled by bureaucracy

Former Employee - Finance Consultant  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Dell

Pros

When I was there, the company was never one to rest its laurels and was continuously looking for ways to cut costs, improve process, and bury the competition. This meant you were never be bored with your job. Projects were often very challenging and time consuming, but you had the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts were actually a critical part of the company's strategic direction.

Cons

The company quickly transformed from one of intelligent risk taking at the individual level to one of deliberate conservatism where ideas often faced the scrutiny of multiple focus groups before utlimately being accepted or rejected. Trite, but it got to the point where management often felt as though they were not adding value unless they held a meeting about having a meeting. Toward the end of my time there, I questioned the effort I should put into my work because projects were increasing being delayed, derailed or redirected.

The people you hire are intelligent and creative. Do not stifle them by making every idea they propose run through a gauntlet of approvals.

There are newer employer reviews for Dell

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!