There are newer employer reviews for Embarq

Good pay, absolutely no work/life balance

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Carlisle, PA (US)
Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Carlisle, PA (US)

I worked at Embarq

Pros

They did pay well. Though based on their website they have dropped the starting pay rate significantly for the new techs coming in.

Cons

Extreme micro-management and absolutely no regard for work/life balance. I was seriously told in the same monthly review that I was one of their best techs, my customer feedback score was excellent, and that I was on disciplinary probation because of my QA scores. My mistake was treating customers as individuals instead of following the checklist that often had nothing to do with the customer's problem.

You did not get your schedule until a week in advance. You did not know what days of the week you were working, let alone what hours. You could work first shift one day and second shift the next. It was completely impossible to schedule anything personal. And when you did get a day off, they would call you on your day off and demand you be there within two hours or risk losing your job. They did that to me once, when they knew I was going on vacation in another state. I managed to not get fired only after reminding them I was hundreds of miles away, and had informed them of this before I left.

Realize that employees, and customers, are human beings not cattle. A little respect goes a long way.

37 Other Employee Reviews for Embarq (View Most Recent)

Acquisition

Current Employee - Manager PROG/PROJ DESIGN in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Manager PROG/PROJ DESIGN in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Embarq

Pros

Empowered to manage your business and make decisions on your own.

Cons

No longer empowered with decision making authority. Almost all decisions no matter how trivial seem to have to be approved by the CEO.

Allow your employees to run thier business as needed. Trust them and pay them fairly.

Call center life

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Embarq

Pros

Well the base pay was good and the commission was excellent especially if you were a good seller benefits were very-very good. Had all sorts of flexible time but only in the call center.

Cons

Mangers were never satisfied with selling only way to have a stress free day is if you sell early and meet the quota, managers preferred sellers who were immoral and added more to the sale to increase their sales.

Well get rid of contracts lower your fees for long distance, also try to get rid of all the scam that goes on in the 3rd party charges.

There are newer employer reviews for Embarq