Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

Other Reviews for Expedia

Stimulating, but extremely political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rome (Italy)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

- Very good compensation and benefits
    - Passionate colleagues for the most part

Cons

- frequent senior leadership changes, not enough diversity in senior leadership which seems to be a bit of an old boys network. All with finance background and almost all men.
    - volatile strategy, changes every 3 months
    - extremely political, thinks it's result driven but politicization of everything kills true high performance
    - very high turnover of middle management and senior management, let alone the lower ranks
    - senior leadership thinks it's an innovative, tech-driven company. It's not. It is run like a bank.

Question your own leadership capabilities

Nice people but an operational nightmare

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are typically nice and try hard to do the right thing in spite of organizational issues. Vacation benefit is great. Travel discounts are nice.

Cons

Re-orgmania and attrition, zero operational consistency with every group having their own unique processes and tools, expecutive and senior managers who should never have been hired for that role or promoted and an increasingly strong culture of pushing specific political agendas down the ranks with calls for advocacy from employees (is that even legal)?

You never listen and I highly doubt any executives read these so not going to bother with advice. Advice to individuals thinking of working at Expedia, if you can get a job at another company, probably a good idea for your career, if you can't then wait the economy out then you can work at Expedia but don't expect to learn anything new or grow in any way....think of it as waiting at the doctors office.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!