There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Stable company to work in..

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Singapore (Singapore)
Current Employee - Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Stable job and good potential career growth. in the company. Generally pays better than other industry. Promotes work life balance.

Cons

Every employee is ranked, which can be quite biased, depending on whether your boss favours you or not.. boring, mundane job, not much of a challenge.

more overseas postings, instead of being stucked in the same work environment forever.

460 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Solid company with decent work opportunities but conforming management that only like to do things a certain way

Former Employee - Instrument Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Instrument Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

ExxonMobil was a great place to start your career. I spent 4 years at the refinery, and for the most part I was pretty satisfied. However, I knew I was not a lifer, as with most of the younger engineers, no one really seems to want to stay and work for the company beyond 5 to 10 years. Working for Exxon is kind of a catch 22: you are well compensated, work conditions are good, but everyone always talks about leaving. Some of the Pros:
    -Well compensated, big raises year in and year out
    -Great benefits-7% 401k match, full tuition reimbursement (except they changed the rules for MBA recently)
    -Plenty of formal training
    -Opportunities to travel
    -Work on exciting and new problems every day; never the same (in a refinery)
    -Amazing pension if you can make that long
    -On site gym, full basketball court

Cons

I think the biggest problem facing this company is dealing with Gen X and Y work force who want the social comforts such as flexible work schedule, snacks, freedom, creativity, etc. The company is so old school in that it believes that compensation is every when it comes to a workplace, and so in my opinion, you will see a lot of people, especially younger employees exiting for jobs. It amazed me how so many people from 30 year vets to new hires complained so much about working for the company. Several managers would often joke with younger engineers to "get out now." The other older work force seemed "trapped" by the compensation and promise of a pension, or else they might leave too. Additionally, the management at the refinery was for the most part awful. Yes, they were smart, and understood all the risks to their decision making, but were often overly conservative, afraid to spend money, and conformed to what every other manager and person did. I won't go on too much, but here are the cons, which I believe outweigh the pros.
    -Conforming management-to move up, you have to be just like the last guy
    -No creativity or innovative approach
    -Management is completely out of tune with the plant
    -Top down approach to management decisions
    - Poor company morale
    -A very secretive and political ranking system that determines promotion and raises
    -Terrible about communicating your future moves and growth

Need to get better leaders in management positions. They promote engineers to managers for their technical skills, but it's clear that management are not strong at managing people. Management are too focused on the bottom line, and making "the right decision" which leads to a lot of overly conservative decisions. You are put in this position to take risk, so trust your employees to do the right thing.

The truth about Exxon.

Current Employee - Electrician
    Current Employee - Electrician

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Exxon is a profit driven company. They will retain, develop, and promote to maximize profit potential . If you can attain that level of thinking, then Exxon is a great company. The goal is to find where your talents will be used to the fullest.

Cons

Even though you hear the lip service of Exxon being family friendly, the company is only to the point where it makes money. The second downside is you see a lot of management people who should not be in their position or they are so burned out that they can no longer handle the stress that comes along with the job.

The compnay must recruit better wage employees and train or replace management employees. Also, the company needs to kick the unions out.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!