FLIR
www.flir.com Wilsonville, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

A good company that could be great if management didn't take the usual route of overcompensating itself.

Engineer IV (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at FLIR

Pros1) You get your own office (in the Orlando division);
2) You get a lot of responsibility;
3) Stock options for just about everybody (granted, you're not getting thousands of them, but they still hand them out);
4) Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP);
5) A modicum of bureaucracy;
6) Flexible hours;
7) Small company feel with big company goals (i.e. ambitious);
8) You can load software onto your computer without IT-department scrutiny.

Cons1) If your boss is competent, then he or she has to die, quit or retire in order for you to get promoted.
2) Management wants you to do everything and be great at it as an engineer (conceive, design, build, test, transition to manufacturing, produce schedules, manage people, etc.). If you're trying to be great at everything--especially if they aren't interested in it--you'll get people that are average overall when they could, instead, be great at what they enjoy and are good at.
3) You're constantly aware that top-level management has golden parachutes and massive amounts of stock options, all for being no smarter than you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart showering everyone with an ample amounts of stock options. It's in your best interest. No one wants to hear how you make family sacrifices for one weekend like everyone else, because you are, in fact, sitting on a mountain of cash.

Best place to work in Santa Barbara

Finance (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at FLIR

Pros: Great group of people. Interesting products and markets. Cons: Different cultures between the different sites sometimes conflict. Advice to Senior Management: The company is pretty well run. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great company to work for

Optical Mechanical Technician (Former Employee)
Bozeman, MT (US)

I worked at FLIR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: good benefits best people flexible hours Cons: Too few people to do the job right Advice to Senior Management: continue to develop and promote current employees Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on FLIR.

Worked for FLIR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FLIR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FLIR CEO Earl R. Lewis. All reviews posted anonymously by FLIR employees.