There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

It was good

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

team work
benefits
good people
good products
affordable products

Cons

There is a lot to organize and it is a busy environment when many customers come.

618 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Field Manager

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

This company has great value to each community, strong values and a great merchandise mix. Family dollar is committed to the metro and urban customers as well as rural towns.

Cons

Store payrolls are very tight, expectations are very high and when staffing is not perfect, everyone including the customer suffers. Senior management accepts no excuses and turns people quickly and sometimes for the wrong reason.

A formidable company in economic times.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Your co-workers and associates in the store will become your family in a way, not to mention I have always been greeted with kindness and friendliness in distant Family Dollar Stores if I or they happen to spark a conversation and i mention that i work for Family Dollar also.
    -As far as working environments are concerned, this company in the retail stores has one of the best in my personal opinion.
    -Benefits are offered for both full and part-time positions.
    -Issues within the store between other co-workers are usually resolved very well.
    -District Managers are very professional and work with their retail stores as well as possible.
    -Raises are given vs. a dead end minimum wage job

Just as a start off note, i have had experience in the past year as a cashier with this company, this is my personal view and i want to share my journey and tips to help anyone possible.

Stores will vary as I have been with two and I have also worked in a different one as well for temporary fill for a day. As a suggestion, if you're interested in working in a particular store and you're not sure about the people there, walk around, shop, take a gander, and listen to how the cashiers, assistant manager, and the manager treats the customers. Watch their work ethic and take that into consideration when applying for a job, because that can make your life harder in the long run. For myself i have had personal experience with that area and it can be difficult, but overtime that issue was resolved, that is why i recommend this company. They have been great in resolving issues.
    If you cannot work with the public personality-wise, this job may not be for you, but if you can grin and bear it, give it a shot! You will meet all sorts of people in this type of environment. Nerves will be pushed, yes, but, having the strength and will to manage stocking, greeting customers, taking purchases at the cash register, recovering, and all while being in a fast-paced environment is a great thing.

Cons

- The computers that run the register can be a consistent issue, the technology needs to be replaced and updated. This would alleviate a lot of issues and problems for the stores and corporate.
    -There are no employee discounts, but on the other side, this is one of the very few companies that do offer part-time benefits.

Just a little more advice for you.
    When working in this store, as you know the floors are concrete. Wear comfortable and supportive shoes that last you all day, not just a couple of hours. Your hands will dry out between the use of hand sanitizer because of money handling, handling boxes, and shelving other items. I personally keep a bottle of lotion in my designated area to use when possible because my hands can crack, especially in the winter.

-Update the computers throughout all stores in the company retail stores. Spending a little bit of money on decent and cheap computers that will run well compared to what is in the stores now would be much better than the current setup.
    -Clear communication and instruction to 3rd party workers that come inside the store. I have had to personally do some part of their jobs. Plus having to go back over messy or improperly placed and unfinished work when they are finished. it makes the store look atrocious and causes a lot more hassle.
    -Spend a little more time on your retail workers, they are your workforce, I personally don't feel much appreciation coming our way for the hard work that we do, a piece of paper or posting in the office is not that sufficient.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!