First Busey
www.busey.com Urbana, IL 500 to 999 Employees

Growing too quickly for morale to keep up

Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at First Busey

ProsBecause it is a fairly large bank, compared to most community banks, Busey can afford to compensate its employees better than many small banks. There are also very good benefits, from relatively inexpensive health and dental insurance, to an amazing 401K with 5% match, profit sharing, and stock sharing. Busey also has friendly, helpful senior leadership that make themselves available to all employees, from the managers to the tellers. They hire internally first, so if you want to move up in the company, you only have to be at your current job 6 months to be eligible for another job, and you'll often get it before someone not with the company.

ConsOne of the downsides to hiring internally is that people who are less qualified are often given jobs over non-Busey outsiders. This results in a lot of training, and times where people that are above you, and thus supposed to be guiding you, have no clue what they are doing. Busey also merged recently with Main Street Bank, and the company morale took a nosedive. Many people got fired to put someone with less or equivilent experience in their job, because the company could pay those people less money. Many, many people, including some who have been with the company for 40+ years were either forced into "retirement" or quit to go find jobs where they were treated better. As some people leave, new people are not hired, forcing current employees to take over their tasks with no increase in pay. Policies change daily, without much notice to employees, until they get in trouble for not doing their job correctly. Managers can be inflexible, including telling students to work their schedules around when they're needed to work at the bank. Busey has also, though paying fairly well, failed to keep up with the rising minimum wage in Illinois, so entry level personnel are compensated less than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries to go with the rise in minimum wage, recognize that part time employees are students first and employees second, and communicate more with everyone.

Needs a lot of work

Teller (Former Employee)
Champaign, IL (US)

I worked at First Busey part-time for more than a year

Pros: - Direct deposit payments are on time. USUALLY. - Good hours -… Cons: - Management is unresponsive; they play favorites and ignore those who aren't in their social work circle. - Lowest paying bank. - HR department is rude and… Advice to Senior Management: I realize you are a small-town community bank, but professionalism is key. You need to leave the social-circle mentality out of the equation, and hire… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I will always be thankful for my experience at Busey!

Customer Support Online Banker (Current Employee)
Champaign, IL (US)

I have been working at First Busey full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great hours, easy to earn incentives, Busey REALLYcares about their… Cons: Low base pay, poor data entry department, newsletters will give… Advice to Senior Management: Please review your system for updating customer's information Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on First Busey.

Worked for First Busey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Busey reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Busey CEO Van A. Dukeman. All reviews posted anonymously by First Busey employees.