There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial

IT: Nice People, Clueless Management

Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY (US)
Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

IT is young and vibrant at FNFG. The people are friendly and supportive. Times are tight for everyone, but if you have a good idea, they will usually find a way to fund it.

Cons

The other side of the "young and vibrant" coin is their inexperience. For an enterprise IT environment, it's still a pretty small organization and yet they want to be grown ups so bad, they tend to adopt unnecessary bureaucratic procedure just because that's what the big banks do.

Slow down growing the org chart, and focus on the people you already have. Say "no" to the lines of business when they want more work done than you have the people or experience to accomplish.

49 Other Employee Reviews for First Niagara Financial (View Most Recent)

Chatham mgment is the worst

Current Employee - Teller in Chatham, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Chatham, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is great,learned much about the banking industry,met some great friends

Cons

Management at local branch was opposite of the rest of company. Seemed to believe her job was to cater to every possible cause but to deal with the bank. (republican events,etc). Personal life of management (mess)

STOP. Look at what you have before you start on your next conquest. You are always going to be only as strong as your weakest link or manager

Movement in Management causing Negative Changes

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary! I enjoyed working with people who had been in the business for a very long time. I was always learning something new.

Cons

Constant movements in management caused negativity with employees and unwelcome changes. The overall atmosphere of the job after some of these changes was negative. All employees in my office were VERY unhappy when I left.

Pay more attention to changes, peoples entire lives are affected by these changes. One person in the wrong position can cause serious loss of talent.

There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial