www.flextronics.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Flextronics

Former mechanical design engineer

Former Contractor - Mechanical Design Engineer in Plano, TX (US)
Former Contractor - Mechanical Design Engineer in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The variety is good. Pay is decent, and the onsite equipment is top notch. Location is convenient to downtown plano.

Cons

Like other reviewers mention, extremely lacking in direction, no feedback, political, and frequent layoffs. I was a contractor their, and this was communicated not only with management but in the attitudes of the regular employees as well. When I interviewed with them, they talked a good game, but don't believe the hype. I came down from my home of indianapolis on a 9 month contract to plano, texas, got laid off three months later. I was told that I was not picking up on things fast enough, but was not provided any specifics. This was while:
1) None of my projects were behind
2) No complaints from customers of the company
3) The regular employees felt a need to micro manage me and then bash me over the head in the form of copying a supervisor when I did something wrong. This only happened a few times, but you get my drift.
4) I never got angry and if I did do something wrong, I would relate the information to my team as I understood it, so I could be corrected. But beware, they will use this against you, because they are political like that.

Frequent layoffs creates an environment of fear, and when you cultivate fear instead of collaboration, you breed an army of automaton robots(employees) who are not innovative. It is also extremely unprofessional and inhumane to bring somebody down from a remote location, with a secure job only to lay them off three months later. While I understand the nature of contract work, people are not machines either. I should have thought of this though when the hiring manager for my position asked my recruiter if he had any good commodities on hand.

529 Other Employee Reviews for Flextronics (View Most Recent)

Flextronics

Former Employee - Debug Tech in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Debug Tech in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to work on Cisco Routers including 4g routers from Verizon.

Cons

Everything else. The promise of conversions for temp workers but instead keep them for 2 to 3 years and then lay them off. Most have to threaten to quit just to get converted. Place is unorganized and they still act like they have a culture there. Not by any stretch. All hands meetings feel like a slick preacher selling you pipe dreams.

You get what you pay for and thats why Cisco left.

Some good times and a few bad ones

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really good people work here, some really hard workers

Cons

Way too many chiefs, hanger's, leaners and networking career climbers. Poor work-life balance

Stop changing your strategy every 6 months