There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Great Company to work and best city

Former Employee - Research Associate II
Former Employee - Research Associate II

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Place to work and will enjoy working

Cons

nothing bad, some time too stressful

784 Other Employee Reviews for Genentech (View Most Recent)

False Promises

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst/Assistant Systems Specialist in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at the Service Desk, you will get free food occasionally on busy days and there is plenty of OT available. Can apply for a regular position after 6 months.

Cons

OT is on a first come first serve basis, good luck finding any shifts. Also, you are constantly being watched, micro-managed, and you have to be on your toes every minute working there. You make one mistake, and you can be let go. If you're a contractor, they won't tell you why you're fired or let anyone else know.

You can apply for a full time position but they don't tell you what you need to do to become a regular. Management tells you to be great, but they don't tell you how to or what aspect you need to do to be great. They are hypocrites and play INCREDIBLE favorites.

During training, you have to make an impression. Management chooses who they want to succeed right from the very beginning and push them. If you are a great fit and a great worker, but they don't like you or pick you at the beginning, good luck going anywhere else. They won't help you one bit.

Change everything, starting with managers who know how to manage. Managers play favorites too much and nit-pick at the smallest things. They don't listen to you unless you're a "veteran" or a suck up. I left the company because of management not helping me out when I deserved it through my hard work and voice of ambition yet was not given ANY opportunities and was given some phony excuse.

Genentech experience

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Casual jean-wearing culture, smart team. Fair pay and good benefits, great work/life balance. Yes, to those who are wondering...should I apply for a job. Culture supports those with advanced degrees, yet lack experience (you know who you are :) and this is a door opener for those with degree or academic backgrounds.

Cons

Inward culture, sometimes misses the mark in reality of industry. Extremely difficult to get in without inside friend, family member; leadership tends to hire and promote those they know. Extremely competitive promotion culture...a saying from the game of thrones captures it well, you either win or lose.

There are newer employer reviews for Genentech

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!