General Motors
www.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

GM - the story of the perfect love hate relationship

I have been working at General Motors

ProsGM can be a great place to work with unique opportunities, creative design problems, wonderful people, and a good balance of work to life. Most mid level management are good people to work for in your functional area. Salary is typically good to better than most, and the benefits are top notch as they have always been.

ConsThe bureaucracy in product development rivals the government. The rigidness to standards and procedures can be overwhelming. The manufacturing side of engineering whines more than a motor with a bad bearing. Most manufacturing/assembly personnel are very unwilling to try anything new or push the envelope. Most of upper level management is out of touch with what is really going on in the new programs. There is little to no opportunity for advancement unless you find it yourself - and even the HR and management will tell you that as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those who deserve it, not those who kiss ass and ask for it.

General Motors - Slowly but surely making changes

Suppy Chain Coordinantor (Current Employee)
Warren, MI (US)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for less than a year

Pros: Lots of additional perks to working at General Motors - free trial of cars every three months, bonuses, group outings, like to the auto show,… Cons: Still has the issues that all big companies face. Advice to Senior Management: Keep moving in the direction you are moving Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Motors

Pros: everything, this place is really nice. The headquarters downtown is… Cons: not too many cons, the parking is not always fun, and… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.