General Motors

www.gm.com

A good company with lots of engineering talent, trying to do the right thing but sometimes gets in its own way

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

Pros- If you are an engineer developing future products, your work will literally affect thousands if not millions of vehicles, which can give you a sense of accomplishment / satisfaction.
- If you are an engineer and you work somewhat hard and show that you are be capable and proactive (self starter), you can move up the pay scale quickly. And you will get the support you need to in order to make the changes you envision.
- The company is very flexible in helping you deal with life events that come up.
- In my time there I have not observed anything "evil" about the company - they are in it for the long haul, they want to do the right thing and not cut corners just because customers might not notice. GM seems to have a strong corporate conscience, even if it means we have to sacrifice profits in the short term.
- The work culture is overall good - the managers are trained to resolve disputes and to conduct themselves fairly. They care about your career, prod you to try to define where you want to go, then they help you to get there.

Cons- The weather in Michigan isn't for everyone.
- It often feels like there are many "silos" within GM, and engineering work / findings are not shared readily and transparently among the engineering teams. Frequently redundant work is done simply because team B wasn't aware that team A had already done that work. Information is not organized, shared, and made searchable.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century by bringing IT up to par: rather than silo'ing information off and only granting access to folks on a case by case, need to know basis, open up access and allow all the engineers to share a lot more of their information with each other - it will accelerate product development.

Overall good company

I have been working at General Motors

Pros: Good people, professional, caring. It is home to some of the… Cons: Bureaucratic. Upper management lost their love for cars and what they mean for the consumer. It's… Advice to Senior Management: Improve communication channels because news, issues, and solutions don't travel all the way up. Functions are territorial and its management protective of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bit over worked at the end before retiring

Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: lots of money and overtime..................... Cons: too many useless people not contributing Advice to Senior Management: try to do what you want the 6 level supervisors… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!