There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Processor, Store Manager Trainee, Assistant Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping people and don't mind getting dirty

Cons

To cooperate office an employee is just a name. No one will notice if or when you go above and beyond. If you find $ in a donation, put it in your pocket. If you turn it in you will not get any of it and no one will ever say.. thanks for doing your job, we appreciate you. NEVER!!!

634 Other Employee Reviews for Goodwill (View Most Recent)

Experiences vary radically from store to store!

Former Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The overall HR policy of Goodwill of NWNC is great. Cashiers get paid about the same as cashiers anywhere, but the benefits are great. The benefits are exceptional for this sort of work. Medical insurance, pension and paid time off (a PTO system where you earn a percent of what you work). A big pro is that you're helping to raise money to help your community (helping others to find employment and helping individuals with physical and mental disabilities). Promotion from within is emphasized.

The first store I worked for was amazing (Mills Gap Road). Caring, ethical management that focused on mentoring over discipline. Customers were valued as was employee input. If you had any problems with your normal duties due to an injury or an unusual personal situation, management would work with you to keep you working without putting you at risk. Management was available to help with tougher customer situations. Expectations were clear. Training had some hitches, but was constant. Follow through by supervisors and management was consistent.

Cons

Overall, the cons at the first store were the same as any other customer service job. Some people are mean. However, since so many of the customers knew that it was a non-profit and worked with the public themselves, they were generally nicer than in most service jobs. The biggest con for Goodwill as a whole is that you can't shop at the store that you work at, so don't apply at your favorite one. Though I must say in their defense, there is actually really good reasoning behind this rule.

The worst cons all go to the second store I worked for (1616 Patton Avenue). Management was horrible. Supervisors were stabbing each other in the back so hard it felt like I was in a really bad made-for-tv movie. Supervisors would talk trash about each other, the staff, and the customers to each other, the staff, and even to the customers! I literally found myself blushing from embarrassment listening to how some of the supervisors spoke to customers at the register. And at closing time, God help you, I've never seen customers chased out like that in any business I've worked at.

You've heard of secret shoppers, right? Maybe you should look into secret employees. You've got some nasty management issues at least one store, and it all gets hidden away when you come through because they know they're doing wrong by both employees and customers.

Decent place to start working.

Current Employee - Clothing Processor
    Current Employee - Clothing Processor

I have been working at Goodwill (less than an year)

Pros

-Helps the community (google how they help)
    -A simple job to start off working in (great for teens)
    -Very nice employees
    -Some managers/assistant managers can be very laid back
    -Very laid back environment sometimes
    (FYI it's minimum wage so you can't complain about the compensation since you know that's what you're signing up for)
    -Will work around a school schedule
    -Depending on your abilities, and position, you could help in other departments of the store. Gives you experience in other parts of the job as well. (ex: Someone might work as cashier one day then utility the next)

Cons

-Slowly turning into a for-profit business
    -Sometimes managers can be too demanding, forgetting we're working for barely nothing
    -Dust and pet dander (think carefully about employment here if you have allergies)
    -My location has a lot of teens working there and they can sometimes be very unprofessional or lazy
    -Customers can be hard to deal with at times (rude, ignorant, or...unhygienic)

Try doing the worker's jobs as well as you expect us to.

There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill