There are newer employer reviews for Google

Loved it.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, really smart people, really interesting projects, good company goals/objectives.

Cons

Of course, since Google has grown so much, it's harder to get things done/it takes a really long to push code or get things out there.

2463 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Contractor - Google's people and environment are awesome, but the job responsibilities and growth rate are poor.

Current Employee - Staffing Services Associate  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staffing Services Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Everything but the job itself. Work with cool people, eat for free, and play a lot. Having Google on your resume also gives you a competitive advantage with many other employers.

Cons

From my experience as an entry-level contractor, I feel like it's difficult to get well-rounded experience in your practice area at Google. Google hires you to do one specific thing, and nothing more. This is even in their mission statement: better to do one thing really well then a bunch of different things. This principle is effective if you're thinking in terms of efficiency but not in terms of developing your employees.

Also, the conversion rate for contractors is very low and you really do get treated like a second class citizen as you walk around with your red badge (...scarlet letter?).

Focus on broadening the job responsibilities of your employees.

Great at the beginning, nightmare towards the end

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment, sometimes challenging atmosphere and smart colleagues.

Cons

Environment was great when I joined in early 2007, although everything changed with time. Management stop listening. Coworkers started backstabbing.
    I felt like I was producing fried air.

You should listen and get some knowledge of what you are actually working on.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!