Amazing Workplace

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Account Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People
Awesome benefits
Beautiful Office
Interesting Work
Great Opportunities

Cons

Competitive
Sometimes difficult to get promoted

Other Reviews for Google

You can learn a lot at Google and hack on things easily. There are things to improve though.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

The single most important factor for me is that you can learn a lot here. You can meet many great people, who contributed a lot to CS in general. When you want to improve your skills in particular area, you can join the team that works on that area. Also the codebase is huge with multiple examples of great engineering. Google has some internal learning classes etc. but I didn't find it as useful as people, projects and the codebase.

Another thing is the "hackability". With the tools we have it's very simple to start hacking on something and you can focus on solving problems. If you have an idea that you want to try, often you can have something ready within a day or two with no frustrations coming from fighting the tools all the time.

Cons

I think that internal mobility could be improved. It's easy to start to work on something as 20%, but when it comes to 100% it's a bit tricky. That means you can get stuck for a while in a project that you don't really like.

Also there is certain degree of bureaucracy. Maybe it's just me, but I hate creating tickets and filling e-forms. Whenever you want to request something, you need to do those things.

Pay more attention to personal interests of employees and fight bureaucracy.

Good place to get your feet wet

I have been working at Google

Pros

Fantastic perks, really smart people, and a great place to get started with a career. Overall, really enjoyed my experiences there and hope the best for the company.

Cons

One thing that Google does a bit is hire really smart people and put them into more basic positions. A lot of people that were there when I first joined on my team are now gone, as everyone has either left to another team or left the company as a whole.

Make sure to keep all employees really engaged.

There are newer employer reviews for Google.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!