Hanover Research

www.hanoverresearch.com

Challenging but Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Rapid promotion and comp growth
Development of multiple skill sets
Lack of micromanagement
Great group of people to work with/many are friends outside of work

Cons

Jack of all trades, master of none
Growth can lead to chaos
Lack of bureaucracy also means lack of structure/plenty of ambiguity

Communicate, communicate, communicate
Allow researchers to specialize by industry, or research type, or both
Free up Content Directors for mentoring/prof development

Other reviews for Hanover Research

For researchers, company has potential

Pros

Colleagues are smart, creative, interesting, nice
    Generally interesting project requests
    Pay is better than some organizations
    Advancement opportunities
    Good work/life balance
    Low-key & low-stress work environment

Cons

Smart, creative researchers under-utilized
    Pay could be better (see: CEB, ABC)
    Management is not transparent at all
    Minimal set expectations/feedback for researchers
    Little/no sharing between sales and research sides
    Advancement opportunities due in part to turnover
    No training or development aside from OTJ

Managers could improve employee engagement and overall happiness at work by seeking more researcher input and by providing more clear expectations and feedback on projects - currently, employees feel under-valued because they are not regularly thanked for their work or, if it's not good, given very much feedback on how to improve.

Overall, don't expect the moon from this small organization. As an employee: if you can upward manage well, can speak up for yourself, and are truly a self-starter, then this organization will be a good fit.

It's getting better all the time

Current Employee - Content Analyst  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

First of all, I can't imagine finding a cooler group of people to work with. I would be friends with my coworkers had we met in some other situation, and I think that is pretty rare. They're amazing people and they are my favorite part of Hanover. Speaking about the education side of research, projects are often objectively interesting. Higher ed researchers get exposed to a large number of topics and research methodologies, including the increasing use of primary research. Most projects are reasonably enjoyable, but if you don't like what you're doing, you know you'll be through with it in a week. Managers are usually responsive and offer insight into project expectations. The company clearly has an eye towards improvement and they really care about worker satisfaction. Management strives to develop a greater sense of collaboration and long-term vision among researchers. Employees who carve out a path for themselves will absolutely do well. As far as benefits and compensation are concerned, I am satisfied, and I was definitely pleased at the recent company-wide increase in PTO.

Cons

The work of a researcher can, over time, become tiring. It can be difficult to keep in mind the ultimate impact of what you are doing as a researcher because you are always onto the next thing and often are crunched at deadlines. You'll do better if you can set aside your perfectionist tendencies and think about how you can effectively answer a question *in the time given.* Fast readers/writers will also do well. But, given a couple of years in research, you will probably want to move on to something with more variation in workload and more responsibility. That can be challenging. In the same way that employees who carve a path for themselves will succeed, those who do not will probably grow bored in time. To succeed in research, you either need to be a superstar researcher, which will enable you to find a niche where you can be a research specialist or will let you move into client-facing roles, OR you need to find some other area of interest and pursue that. If you're good - but not great - at research, you may find it hard to move to those roles. Still, if you find something you can be great at, Hanover will reward you for that in time and I do believe they value people who work hard and find their strengths.

Continue to invest in researcher satisfaction and long-term career development and let us know that you value us, particularly around the time researchers start to feel fatigue. Upward reviews, surveys, and so forth have been helpful. Transparency is also key. Also, while it has been undeniably good to hire some external CDs, it is unclear to researchers whether we are still wanted as CDs as well, so making our career path options really clear would be helpful.

Hanover Research Response

Aug 03, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to see that you are seeing the changes and improvements we are making constantly in response to staff feedback. I appreciate the feedback about keeping staff ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Hanover Research.

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!