Hertz

www.hertz.com
  www.hertz.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

THIS IS JUST A JOB, NOTHING ELSE

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tampa, FL (US)
Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a good job to have right out of college, but try not to get stuck here. Employee Benefits are good, especially for those who do not have their own insurance.

Cons

Where should I start? A majority of the customers are rude! The pay is low, Expect to work 50+ hours on a weekly basis, so if you do not want a social life, this job is perfect. Turnover is extremely high so you will always be working at a branch that is understaffed . The insurance replacements are the worst. . You have to clean cars wearing your work clothes, the hours are long, and picking up people can be very dangerous, especially for women. The company only cares about making money, you are taught how to deceive people.

Hire more people and actually care about your employees

1797 Other Employee Reviews for Hertz (View Most Recent)

Do Not Work Here Ever!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Hertz part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about working at this company whatsoever!

Cons

I was a Hertz for three years! I was hired in the beginning as Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm and Saturday 8am to noon, full time hours. Then in one week the recession hit Canada then my hours drastically changed sometimes I would be called in for three hours of work. And yet the company requires you to have a vehicle. You actually spend more on your gas and maintance then making an actual salary. My Branch Manager took total advantage of me as well. I did not have even regular hours either. The fleet is so cheap that no one wants to drive Hyndai Accent, Nissan Sentra or Dodge Avenger. This company cuts costs whenever it can. They treat the managenment like gold and the employees like garbage! Every Saturday there would be no SUV's for my customer's reservations however my Branch Manager would be in a Chrevolet Surbon because he had a family. He left me for an entire month after only three months then blamed me for the bad sales afterwords. They were too cheap to hire a cleaner so I had to do it. I was the Acting Branch Manager anyway! He would rent to bad people and they would end up getting into car accidents. Who is going to pay $32 a day for full coverage on a rental anyway. No luxury vehicles only for six months. No selection of vehicles! No AWD cars, only ones that got stuck in the winter time. Terrible customers that will do and say anything for a discount. Bad survey's were the norm. Yet everyone would ask for a discount! It was simply the worst job that I ever had in my entire life. My last month there I brought in $49,000 in revenue and still no thanks either. Now the location went downhill since I resigned it's no longer open on Saturday! Anything to save money for this company! So much high turnover! Cars were not even cleaned well at the airport which lead to complaints from customers. I worked countless hours of overtime that I was never paid for as well. Cars were rented out with bald tires because the company could not afford new ones!

When you pay your staff a horrible wage you get horrible staff! Get some better cars! How about some AWD cars for the winter time. Never enough mini vans trucks or suv's for the winter or the summer time!

Try to find something else

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Decent benefits
    - Easy to obtain employment with Bachelor's Degree, and it is difficult to get fired
    - If you meet sales goals, promotion to Branch Manager can happen quickly. Hertz likes to promote from within.

Cons

- Expect to work 50+ hours per week, including Saturdays. Don't expect to take a lunch break, and taking time off for any reason is highly discouraged.
    - Only way to obtain pay raise is through promotions, which are awarded solely based on sales goals. Any other value that you bring to the company will not be considered. This would include but would not be limited by: providing excellent customer service, being reliable, working extra hours, cleaning cars well or at high frequency.
    - Management will not recognize good work outside of meeting sales incentives, in general. Non-monetary incentives for things like providing good customer service exist, but will not be awarded, regardless of eligibility. Periodically, upper management will focus on one non-sales aspect of the business to focus on. If you fall behind on the focus item, you will be punished; if you do well in that aspect, you will not be rewarded in any way.
    - You will wash cars wearing dress clothes. At many locations, car cleaning location is just an uncovered area, like an alleyway, with a water hose and vacuum cleaner.
    - Company philosophy is to "do more with less". Constant layoffs at corporate offices, which means less support to resolve various issues. At rental locations, reduction of workforce is achieved by not replacing terminated employees. Supplies needed to complete tasks are routinely not available, for example, cleaning supplies to clean rental cars.
    - Expect to run a location by yourself during the most busy times. A list of all that needs to be done by yourself on the busiest days: cleaning vehicles, answering phones whenever they ring, closing the location to pick up and return customers, working the rental counter, inspecting vehicles, doing routine business paperwork.
    - Never count on a bonus at this company. The incentive structure changes pretty much every quarter. Hertz will use every trick that they can think of to reduce bonuses.
    - You will get yelled at a lot at this job. Everything from complaints about dirty or damaged vehicles to complaints about billing policies.

Hire enough people at locations to get the job done. Treat your lower-level employees better; they're people, not just numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz