Great firm to be with

Current Employee - Market Research Manager in Chennai (India)
Current Employee - Market Research Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/personal life balance
Interesting projects to work on and great internal stakeholders in the US

Cons

No budget for travel to meet clients/customers/team on a regular basis
Senior management is mostly from Genpact and infusing that cost cutting culture into HP.
Not much career growth can be expected unless someone senior quits

Advice to Management

Start properly managing seats and empower employees to work from home.
In doing so, save costs, and also ensure that those funds can be made available for the team rather than spending money on silly games/opening new offices.

reviews filtered by

A company that values your personal life and thereby earning their employees loyalty.

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people policies, stress free work environment. Good work life balance, very supportive of women employees, good culture and values

Cons

Growth, salary hikes. Nothing very negative. Not for the fiercely ambitious.

Great company for any person to work, make life-long friends, and learn a lot.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The HP Way in terms of benefits and package may be long gone, but I believe the work culture and freedom is still there. Work culture includes the great people you work with whom are supportive and friendly. Of course there will be runs with conflict of interest, but that happens with any company. At HP, the overall atmosphere is to work collectively towards a goal. The freedom here is the well-known work-from-home or work-life balance. But not only that, from my personal experience, I was given opportunity to try different functions and learn a great deal. I've been an R&D Project Manager, then Procurement, and then Product Marketing. HP provides the flexibility to try different functions (as long as you are willing to accept no pay raises), and even different departments. I have been a part of notebooks, desktops, accessories, consumer and commercial markets.

Cons

The pay is on par with the market and is not as aggressive in promoting personnel to higher posts. If you are the aggressive type who has an eye for becoming a CEO, HP may not be the quickest path for you.

Advice to Management

Overall, HP management style is great. HP managers who keep the HP Way will respect you and try their best to groom you, while also giving you great freedom to perform. My best advice to HP management is to continue this pattern and promote from within. It creates more stability and loyalty to the company, which I believe has been lost in the past few years.