There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Best company I have every worked at!

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA (US)
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best atmosphere, very casual, Worked with really smart people who were very committed to doing a good job and doing the right thing. You weren't judged on you appearance, i.e. forced to wear a suit. My direct supervisor would come in shorts and flip-flops - as an extreme example. Great benefits, stability and ok pay. Work/life balance was good if you had an understanding manager.

Cons

If you are nonexempt, you tend to hit a glass ceiling, no pun intended, with little chance to jump over to the exempt side of things, unless you get an advanced degree or MBA, etc

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time

Pros

Employees are treated with respect; HP has good management philosophy. Most of the managers who have been with the company for a long time follows the HP Way of management.

Cons

There has been lots of organizational and leadership changes over past couple of years. It seems like every few months an organizational change is announced.

Advice to Management

Need to bring the stability back to the management team.

Plenty of opportunity

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Respectable pay, plenty of opportunity to find something interesting to do should you become bored or stagnant in a certain position.

CEO is working diligently to improve HP's performance, and is not worried about pandering to the stock market in the short term. Given our previous CEOs (Mark Hurd) who focused ONLY on short-term profits and their own bank accounts, Meg Whitman is a breath of fresh air. The employees firmly and completely support Meg in her efforts.

Cons

Middle management (too many layers that provide no value to the company).

Advice to Management

Get rid of about three layers of middle management. They exist ONLY to write reports about what their people have done, tell employees that they cannot spend any money, and travel around the world (at company expense) to meet with their direct reports. At the same time, I have teammates with whom I have worked for 10 years that I have never met in person.