Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Great while it lasted

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great name recognition - the company was a great starting point. There were a lot of people that had spent their entire working life there.

Cons

Sometimes it was too big - too many layers of management at times made it tedious to get some projects completed.

So far things are too big to change quickly without possibly 'breaking' a lot of longstanding ingrained policies and procedures.

8737 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Gone from a commited employee to an employee commited to an escape plan

Current Employee - Expert Engineer
    Current Employee - Expert Engineer

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The local management still hold out against the corporation. They can't do anything about the benefits but they still treat us with respect. We are all 25 year vets of HP and we stick our fingers up to all the parasites that are bleeding the company dry.

Cons

How much time have you got.....
    As recent as 5 years ago, HP was an iventive high performance company that paid good money for good people. It was hard work but worth it.

The Execs have turned it into a company where people are more interested in working on things that will make them employable when the get the push from HP. We have gone through a year of resistance,anger, mourning but now people are not bothered about their FPR as it doesn't make any difference to salary VPB etc.

I overheard one of our local senior managers recently talking about his reirement finances. He was trying to get them into shape so that WHEN HP fire him, he can hopefully retire. This guy has worked his guts out for 30+ years but because his organisation actually design and make a product (i.e. we are not Corporate lackies) MH and his cronies will be sending the axe our way sometime soon (R&D efficiencies hey).

We have local morale teams trying to keep the local staff motivated despite the new HP way. I've seen first hand how people are completely disengaged and don't give a stuff about HP anymore.

You just have to look in the car park at 5.15pm to see what the performance culture has done. 5 years ago it would be full, these days it's empty.

I always thought that I would probably leave HP at 50 to do something else because I joined straight from college at 21. 50 is 6 years away for me now and after the shock of the last 2-3 years, I'm quite happy to spend those 6 years working on anything I can that I find interesting and will get me another job when I get the bullet. I won't bust a gut anymore (like I did 2 years ago when a colleague and I worked every weekend for 6 months to get a project done).

I have consistently been a K for the last 10 years, in the last 6 years my total salary increase is 6%, yep you heard (or should I say Hurd ;) ) 6 percent. I could have put my feet up over the last 6 years and not been that badly off compared to what I get paid now. The company had the cheek to ask us to take permanent 5% pay cut. Not only would it have taken me forever to recoup that, it would affect my pension also.

The senior management have a strategy that is going to make the company mediocre. I used to find it hard work to stay highly rated. Now I couldn't give a about it. In a few years time the company will be full of average people, hopefully I won't be one of them.

I leave you with a great example of how efficiencies in one area (IT) causes ten times more cost elsewhere.

A colleague and I still have UNIX mail accounts only. The mail server is in danger of being de-commissioned. So.... all we want is an exchange mailbox account.

We have tried for 2 years on and off but we can't get one. The closest you get to being able to talk to someone in IT ( 'cos we couldn't get a mailbox through any of the online automated systems) is a web chat with someone in IT. Guess what, it's an HR issue, why, because when someone starts in the company, the HR people set up your employee ID etc and an exchange mailbox is set up automatically. Errrrr hello, we've been employees for 23 years. Ironically, I can request a mailbox for a contingent worker but not one for myself.

We tried to force someone in IT to contact us by requesting a mailbox for a contingent worker but with our own employee ID. The helpful IT person opened the ticket saw that it didn't make sense but rather than contact us, they just closed the ticket with a resolved status!!!!

I really could write a novel about this whole HP experience but I'll leave it there. Good luck to all my fellow HP'ers. You'll need it

I have to write something here to get my other comments onto the site. I can't give any advice 'cos they don't care.

In the eye of the beholder

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great co-workers, good collaboration and commitment to get the job done. Benefits are decent but costs seems to rise while benefits drop. Solid stock price. Real commitment to allow you to work from home.

Cons

Performance rating system is a disgrace. Cost cutting has become the practice of the day and for some decisions management seems heartless. People are in fear for their jobs and are continuously looking over their shoulder.

Focus on the bottom line, but give credit to your employees and treat them better.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!