Higher One

Customer Agent

Current Employee - Agent
Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at Higher One

Pros

Fast paced, flexible hours, good moral, open communication, company culture, fun place to work, ability to work from home, positive environment,

Cons

Lack of support at times, weak leadership roles at times, slow responses and acknowledgment from mgmt especially via email, lower compensation scale,

reexamine compensation packages, evaluate management effectiveness and effectiveness of support roles, more training, more team meeting sessions, better virtual environment would be good too.

44 Other Employee Reviews for Higher One (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Home Based Customer Care Agent
    Current Employee - Home Based Customer Care Agent

I have been working at Higher One part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the opportunity to work from home. I'm retired and wanted something to keep me feeling productive and focused, so I work 20 hours per week. 20 hours is what I specified, other schedules are available. I also like the fact that I am an employee. I don't want to deal with filing quarterly income estimates, paying my own social security etc. I'd rather let them handle that. I am paid $11 per hour, which is what I was offered when I started 6 months ago. Pay is never late and always correct. There are opportunities for additional hours at times, as well as opportunities for unpaid days off upon request. The other employees I interact with remotely are pleasant and professional.

Cons

Relatively low pay
    I wish I had more flexibility as far as my work schedule, but I understand that isn't possible for this type of job
    There is a lot to learn and a lot to know to do the job well

Offer some type of pay incentive for adherence and QA ratings.

Good place to work to build resume

Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Help Desk II in New Haven, CT (US)

I worked at Higher One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office culture is great. Fun atmosphere, free lunches, and a beautifully renovated historical building (New Haven location). When I was there knowledge and idea sharing ran rampant in my department. Others were always very helpful. I learned a lot working here and had a great time doing it. They do a lot for morale in the sense of coffee bar, games in the break rooms, social events, etc...

Cons

Compensation is low (25th percentile). Personally I felt I was being held back from advancement because I was needed on my team. The company grew too large too fast for its own good and they lost a lot of good people because of it. Middle management tends to kill the culture for the newbie employees. It was fun to work at when it was a smaller company but started to lose it's appeal after a while. Overworked and under appreciated. Free lunch and coffee only gets you so far.

Lighten up. Let employees explore their talents and move to other teams if they want to. Internal cross training is a good thing. If you come to work at HO realize it's not a normal corporate culture so be prepared to adjust accordingly.

There are newer employer reviews for Higher One