12036 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Other Reviews for IBM

IBM is a company you can be proud to work for, where advancement is based on merit, hard work, and passion

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Your colleagues will challenge you professionally, your goals will be set for your ability to achieve them, and there are endless possibilities for the motivated to advance their careers. This is a company that cares deeply for the world it operates in, and seeks to make a profound difference in the lives of it's employees and the world we live in.

Cons

We work really really hard. If you appreciate the challenge and opportunity to build and own something, this is for you. If you prefer to coast, you'll slide right off the cliff here.

Invest heavily in your 30-45 year old high achievers to ensure we stay and build our careers with you, we can easily make more money elsewhere.

VP

Former Employee - Vice President, Human Resources  in  Armonk, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in Armonk, NY (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leading edge projects
    Smart people
    Empowered teams
    Exposure & experience globally
    Complex business problems
    Professional development
    Extensive resources
    Sophisticated management and operational processes and systems

Cons

huge focus on expense savings

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!