There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Good

Current Employee - Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
Current Employee - Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Formal training for new hires and the company reputation is great for fresh graduate to work for and enough chances to work at different places.

Cons

The salary is not competitive enough because of the hieararchy. The company is too hierarchical to connect with people in charge.

Care for the consultant.

11849 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

little too big

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good pay, 401k match, decent benefits

Cons

Not much room for growth

IBM Hardware Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM