IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Current Employee - Software Developer in Böblingen (Germany)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Böblingen (Germany)

I have been working at IBM as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Global player, good job opportunities

Cons

It is hard to get a job in a lab in Germany

12176 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

If you are in the US, do NOT consider working for IBM

Current Employee - IT Person in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - IT Person in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel. Working from home (depending on what group you are hired on with). This is my second review for the same company (did one about a year ago).

Cons

I have never worked at a company that has so little respect for their employees. Nothing you do is ever enough and as an IT person, we are held accountable to meet expectations from the business, who changes their requirements daily, with no change control and no pushback from IT leadership. I haven't spoken to the person who I am told is my manager in over 4 months (until I recently Sametimed him to let him know that I cannot work 24 hours a day). At IBM, you have managers on paper, but zero leadership or direction. Any direction you receive is at the project level and not at an HR level. You are just a tool, a soldier, and expected to work harder and harder, for less and less of a reward as the execs continue to line their pockets with bonuses for record profits (which do not trickle down in ANY way to US employees). I'm sure the reviews are skewed higher by employees from other countries which IBM is heavily investing in. In addition, you might see lots of jobs out there, so that it appears IBM is hiring. This is NOT true. They are trying to hire people in at lower salaries to do the same work, and will expect you to work from a "delivery center", so that they can lay off a loyal tenured employee who remembers how things used to be. Before considering a job at IBM, search the web for IBM employee comments. There are a few websites out there devoted to it, although I am not sure if I am allowed to list them here.

It's too late, management has no interest in hearing from their employees. The laughable "JAM" that recently happened (Which we were ordered to sign up for) was basically just a pep rally talking about how they can get more business and how great everyone's IBM manager is.... and how ethical the company is and how great their values are. It reminded me of some churches I belonged to growing up.

Awesome people, but US workforce is no longer valued

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay
    Incredibly dedicated and talented workforce

Cons

Constant layoffs in the US. Underhanded techniques to keep layoff numbers below what is required to be reported to the state in advance, in an attempt to avoid bad publicity.

Management needs to take a good look at who is actually doing the work. Many jobs have been outsourced to China, India, etc. but in most cases the new "resources" still require the assistance of more experienced employees in the US - even after long training periods.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM