There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at IBM

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

11555 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Tough place to survive

Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Business Operations Support Specialist

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM offers a wealth of resources to their employees and the name commands instant respect.

Cons

The company is constantly reorganizing and it can feel like musical chairs trying to know where you fit in the grand sceme. You are always wondering if your job will be eliminated or sent off shore.

slow the pace of acquitions and allow your employees to settle in to their roles.

Great place if you want a job . . . not much else to say . . .

I worked at IBM

Pros

- It looks nice on your resume as the company is recognized worldwide
    - There are a lot of "potential" opportunities due to the size of the company

Cons

- Way too much red tape, worse than the government, you need to get approval for almost everything
    - Very spend thrift, this company only cares about the bottom line
    - IBM is way too big for it's own good
    - IBM calls itself an innovator but still uses antiquated systems
    - There is no "company" feel, each employee is a number, literally.

I really feel sorry for first line managers, a lot of the major decisions are out of their control. I would advise that they work on ensuring that the employees are feeling valued for the work they do.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!