There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at IBM

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

11682 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Not a Good Place!

Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive
    Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive

I have been working at IBM

Pros

-Good Benefits
    -Line workers are fantastic (what's left anyways)
    -Great experience and IBM name still carries weight
    -Great 401k and pension if you still have it

Cons

-US Workforce is becoming extinct. IBM flat out does not want many folks left in the USA
    -Off shore staff is not up to speed nor talented enough to take on what's being lifted and shifted to them. Don't get me wrong I am not trying rip those folks just saying with 13 yrs experience I still have mentors with 20 and 30yrs plus. Those in India simply do not have that and want to follow a script and script only.
    -Management is poor, direction given is poor and first lines rarely know the business.

Don't give up on the US workforce. Stop hiding behind the economy as a reason for you doing all this"workload rebalancing" as you like to call it. You can't ask for stimulus money and then layoff US workers. Get your ethics in order, something IBM used to pride itself on.

Great to gain experience, but hard to go up the rank ladder

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great benefits, wide range of work opportunities, vast communication throught the GBS Public Sector

Cons

IBM Internal Best Practices not up to par; meaning you're nothing but an employee ID.

Honesty is the best policy

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!