IBM

www.ibm.com

11963 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

Other reviews for IBM

Not a Good Place!

Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive
    Current Employee - Delivery Project Executive

Pros

-Good Benefits
    -Line workers are fantastic (what's left anyways)
    -Great experience and IBM name still carries weight
    -Great 401k and pension if you still have it

Cons

-US Workforce is becoming extinct. IBM flat out does not want many folks left in the USA
    -Off shore staff is not up to speed nor talented enough to take on what's being lifted and shifted to them. Don't get me wrong I am not trying rip those folks just saying with 13 yrs experience I still have mentors with 20 and 30yrs plus. Those in India simply do not have that and want to follow a script and script only.
    -Management is poor, direction given is poor and first lines rarely know the business.

Don't give up on the US workforce. Stop hiding behind the economy as a reason for you doing all this"workload rebalancing" as you like to call it. You can't ask for stimulus money and then layoff US workers. Get your ethics in order, something IBM used to pride itself on.

Used to be a Great Place to Further Your Career

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

Lots of talented people; great networking; competitive salary and benefits package; lots of free education on line; flexible working conditions including work from home

Cons

You are only a number; you get pigeonholed in an area and it is very hard to move on; education in a classroom setting is very restricted; pennypinching seems to abound (removal of reimbursement for internet access; reduced expense allowed for phone calls; removal of the Thanks award program); always waiting for the next resource action induces a lot of stress.

Treat your resources as people versus just a number who can be discarded; Before outsourcing work, ensure capable workers are available so that the US people left, do not have to spend most of their time 'cleaning up' the mess left behind by untrained, unqualified workers.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!