Illumina

www.illumina.com

One of the best companies to work for in San Diego

Development Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsBleeding edge technology in a field that has huge growth potential and the company is the market leader. Work on something that will actually impact human health and understanding.

The senior management has a proven record of guiding the company through many strategic decisions and is still positioned really well in the market.

Campus is amazing, possibly the best in San Diego (beach volleyball, basketball, soccer, gym, amphitheater, koi ponds, cafe, Starbucks) and is being expanded with even more amenities.

Software is becoming a key part of the overall strategy and there are tons of interesting projects and opportunities. Great place for talented software engineers. Lots of interesting "Big Data" problems that don't involve 140 character messages...

ConsAs most companies that have such extreme growth there are plenty of growing pains, but there are also plenty of opportunities. Departments that are cost centers don't get enough support, but this is not unusual.

Layoff late in 2011 probably sparked more negative reviews than the company deserves. I've personally never been approached for weekend work, again this could be different in other departments, but this is 1600+ person company.

Internal systems are sub-par and under-staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-invest in your employees and internal systems for the next 10 years...

The company gives out a strong "holier than thou" vibe but could use a reality check.

(Former Employee)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Hot technology, hands down leader in the market right now. Plenty of opportunity to learn new things. Revenue and cash flow have been good,… Cons: 1. You really need to be ready to drink the proverbial Cool Aid here and show maximum enthusiasm for whatever that gets put forward as… Advice to Senior Management: Come down from the clouds More

great place to learn lots quickly

Software Developer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros: - developers are used to make new software, not maintenance of existing systems - lots of interesting… Cons: - not a software company. It's a hardware company… Advice to Senior Management: - hire more testers and designers Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!