There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and cutting edge technology

Cons

Lack of teamwork, poor management leadership and guidance, does not promote work-life balance, and a CYA environment

Either develop or hire personnel in middle management

144 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

One of the best companies to work for in San Diego

Current Employee - Development Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Development Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bleeding edge technology in a field that has huge growth potential and the company is the market leader. Work on something that will actually impact human health and understanding.

The senior management has a proven record of guiding the company through many strategic decisions and is still positioned really well in the market.

Campus is amazing, possibly the best in San Diego (beach volleyball, basketball, soccer, gym, amphitheater, koi ponds, cafe, Starbucks) and is being expanded with even more amenities.

Software is becoming a key part of the overall strategy and there are tons of interesting projects and opportunities. Great place for talented software engineers. Lots of interesting "Big Data" problems that don't involve 140 character messages...

Cons

As most companies that have such extreme growth there are plenty of growing pains, but there are also plenty of opportunities. Departments that are cost centers don't get enough support, but this is not unusual.

Layoff late in 2011 probably sparked more negative reviews than the company deserves. I've personally never been approached for weekend work, again this could be different in other departments, but this is 1600+ person company.

Internal systems are sub-par and under-staffed.

Re-invest in your employees and internal systems for the next 10 years...

If the company had any respect for my profession, I'd love to work there

I worked at Illumina as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting technology, great business "space" to be in
    Lots of smart people as worker-bees
    Awesome campus
    good place for someone who in the scientific part of the biz

Cons

My comments mirror many of the others....this company spends its money on the people who are developing the technology - the chemical, genetic end of the house is difficult to staff, and Illumiina works hard to find and attract talent to that area
    BUT
    the rest of the business suffers as a result. Business process infrastructure and systems are old; documentation is bloated, poorly managed, delivery of information is neither nimble nor scaleable. Current systems - like SalesForce - are so poorly implemented their use is avoided. Software is old and cobbled. There is little project managment (ya know, a schedule, critical path, risks, a goal..?), and I was a little amazed at the arrogance of some people who insist on ignoring best practices..

This place needs a PMO office yesterday. Perhaps its acquistion by Roche will help push it into reality. My other advice would be to reconsider the grandfathered position bestowed on staff. The place uses a lot of contract workers. Good contract talent seems to be sacraficed and less productive staff remains. Bad for long-term health of the org. (See: teacher's union; tenure).

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina