There are newer employer reviews for Internap Network Services

Internap is a good place to work for a small company of 450 employees.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)
Current Employee - Network Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services

Pros

Great PTO plan, paid parking, and good health benefits with Cigna. Groups are organized but some can have improved communications. Shome tools for looking are data are not good at all and need a major overhall and the company just keeps promising to give us better tools but never delivers claiming budget troubles, etc.

Cons

VP level mgmt does not talk openly to the rest of staff. People do not say hello in the hall hardly ever unless they already know you. Many seem either tired, bored or over worked so maybe that is why they never say hello. Seems the culture is to go on and be busy at your desk and not get to know anyone.

Advice to Management

Stop being away from the common workers or base employees and get to know them by having face to face interactions.

reviews filtered by
  1. Opportunities but disorganized

Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Account Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Internap Network Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friends and family members have a good chance of getting hired. You can get a good referral bonus for bringing them on board!

Internap gives employees almost all holidays!

Competitors are always hiring Internap employees!

Cons

Customer contracts are a mess. I still have not gotten a good answer on what counts as an official contract start date.

Sales people are constantly telling customers wrong things even when you tell them it's wrong.

Advice to Management

Many employees have figured out how to personally profit from angry customers by referring them to other companies. The company needs to fire people who are not playing for team Internap!

These new bad sales people are killing us. Please stop hiring them!

One step forward and two steps back

I have been working at Internap Network Services

Pros

Networking team and NOC are pretty sharp, but many other areas of the company are severely lacking.

I think most employees are trying to do the right thing, but it's more of a skill problem than a will problem. Obviously this is a generalization.

Salaries are competitive.

Great product for customers.

Executives are trying to make things better, and there have been several good improvements over the past two years. I really liked it when they reached out to employees for feedback and also when executives held the ad hoc innovation competition in the 3rd quarter of 2014. Both of these efforts were great.

Cons

Lower to Middle management adds little to no value in my department. Internap puts non-technical people in charge of technical people and gives the technical people very little voice in decision making.

Internap is a small company which acts like a big company. Hierarchy and rank are valued over good ideas.

Some people take advantage of the disorganization by sitting at their desk and pretending to work instead of actually working. This is not the norm, but it happens enough to be noticeable.

When key positions are vacated, those key leaders' positions stay vacant for too long. This causes a leadership vacuum, and the surrounding incompetence flows into the vacuum created by the missing leader.

Advice to Management

I can see lots of effort being made to improve things, so please keep that up. It has made a difference.

Not every problem can be solved by hiring a consultant. Sometimes we should focus more on hiring good employees and less on contracting with a short-term, temporary consultant. Especially management consultants.

I would recommend Internap stock as a "buy" because of the great product, but not because of the good employees. This is a generalization, because there are many excellent employees. But there are enough average and below average employees to drag the mean down. The area which could use the most improvement is lower-to-middle management.