J. C. Penney
3.0 of 5 1,645 reviews
www.jcpenney.com Plano, TX 5000+ Employees

Good company with decent benefits and decent amount of opportuntites

Area Manager (Former Employee)
Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Prosjcp is not scared to place you in a role that you have no experience in. Multiple locations throughout the country which provides opportunities for advancement if willing to locate.

ConsLimited opportunities if not willing to locate. If a position is offered to you and you turn down the position (due to location or job preferences), it is difficult to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should evaluate their distribution center HR policies as there are a multitude of under-performing supervisors and managers who cannot be dismissed from the company due to the Pro-employee approach they take. This effects moral of quality employees.

Changes Are Killing My Branch

Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros: They have a good employee discount and, if you are good at your… Cons: You have to have a college degree to get into a management spot no matter how much you know or how long you've worked… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The Company is alright to work for, but you need to play the political game if want to get promoted

Manager (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The Vacation time credit for previous work experience is a nice bonus. Was there 4… Cons: Poor/Inadequate Senior Leadership Team with regards to people Development Not enough focus on enhancing Leadership skills Too much instability since… Advice to Senior Management: Feel that the Executives are trying to change too much without thoroughly assessing the pros/cons… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on J. C. Penney.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J. C. Penney CEO Mike Ullman. All reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees.