J.P. Morgan

www.jpmorganchase.com
  www.jpmorganchase.com
There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan

Hard-working, smart people with some bureaucratic, big company headaches.

Current Employee - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at J.P. Morgan

Pros

There are some very thoughtful, intelligent, and capable people. Great networking opportunities. Because of the size of the firm, there is a lot of mobility within the firm.

Cons

Because of the current regulatory environment, there is definitely a "CYA" compliance mentality. There are a lot of hoops to jump through just to get things done, all in an effort for the company to limit foul ups, losses, and bad press. This isn't different from other companies in the industry, but the bigger the company, the more the red tape.

4403 Other Employee Reviews for J.P. Morgan (View Most Recent)

The worst company I have ever worked in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bank has weathered financial crisis better than most

Cons

JP Morgan is by far the worst company I have ever worked in.

1. Talents are wasted. Qualified accountants are employed to perform daily system reconciliations which requires no accounting knowledge whatsoever.

2. To do system reconciliations you need to build up knowledge of the specific JPM systems, which means to do your job properly you have to spend a lot of time building up non-transferable skills

3. Focus of most roles are very narrow. Staff are pigeon holed into doing a few specific things, and most people are happy to just follow the instructions and do not take ownership (or do not have enough knowledge to take ownership) when something goes wrong. There have been so many times when I have heard "I just press the buttons" (or something similar)

4. Management show no appreciation for staff. They see nothing wrong with making staff work until midnight, on weekends or on public holidays and do not even say a "Thank you". Yet, they have no problem sending around an email reminding everyone that the working day starts at 9am, and a number of people have been coming in a few minutes late.

5. Management are very petty. As an example: In 2007 (the most profitable year for JPM before the credit crisis), the company asked staff to pay £15 if they wanted to go to the company Christmas party. I mean, come on! Even Greenpeace give their staff a free Christmas party!

Nice Employer to work for.

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

Extremely strong bank. Perks and flexibility for employees

Cons

Not all group follow the same policies. Each LOB is completely different.

There are newer employer reviews for J.P. Morgan