Liberty Mutual Insurance

www.libertymutualgroup.com
  www.libertymutualgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Solid pay and opportunities for those who seek it.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, compensation for technical/support positions (i.e. project management, analyst, etc), job opportunities (if willing to relocate) and you are challenged in your job. Senior Management is constantly trying to improve the culture.

Cons

As in any large company than can be some politics and managers who keep you from getting ahead (that's why more employees should take advantage of the relocation opportunities). Some of the hiring internally is unjustified. They need to hire more based on talent.

While improving, the culture still struggles b/c management often reacts quickly to the issues in front of them (with little thought about long term consequences). Need to improve planning (i.e. hiring ahead of the curve). Work load balances go from very nice after a hiring ramp up, to insane after management ignores the pace of policy growth.

1082 Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance (View Most Recent)

Mother Liberty

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Liberty is a large company with a better than average pension and benefits package. Due to their size, there is opportunity for internal advancement. Liberty hires good people and historically produce a high end service product. The training program for most departments is the best in the business. Liberty does a nice job of supporting the local community in areas where they have offices.

Cons

As is the case with most large companies in a down economy, they are forced to "do more with less." The company has gone through several waves of restructuring, in just about every department, which can disrupt the careers of both those who go and those who stay.

The company will be fine so long as you take care of the employees who are responsible for the operation of the business on a daily basis. Good people need to feel valued.

Claims Work is Bad Enough - LM Makes it Unbearable

Current Employee - Claims Specialist
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers are some of the best people I've ever met - probably because misery loves company.

Cons

I will openly admit that pretty much ANY claims job is going to be difficult. It is a negative enviroment and you're frequently dealing with hostile customers, a high work load, and heavy deadline-driven tasks. That being said, LM makes to make a bad situation worse. They bog the system down with ridiculous, tedious processes. They want everything done on a converyor belt approach, probably so they can eventually outsource everything to India. You are not reviewed. You are 'calibrated'. They tout Lean, then demand redundancies in almost every task. At least in my office, corporate politics rule the day. People are promoted based on who they know, not what they do. I literally dread going to work everyday and when I inevitably get fired, I'm not going to cry. I'm going to do a backflip.

Stop 'calibrating' your employees. We are not sprocket machines. We are people. And drop the line about 'work/life balance'. Everyone knows you don't mean it and at this point, its just insulting.

There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!