Liberty Mutual Insurance
www.libertymutualgroup.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)
Dover, NH (US)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLiberty is a huge company with a huge IT organization. If you get your foot in the door and you do well, you can be guaranteed that you'll be able to move around and try different things you're interested in. Also, the majority of the workers in IT are *very* nice. I worked in Portsmouth, NH and Dover, NH and the majority of those I interacted with daily were great people, I ended up making lots of good friends there. The compensation is also good and you get a lot of time off.

ConsI worked in IT, and you can tell that the business does not appreciate or understand the value that IT provides to their business. I believe that this is in part caused by the fact that middle management in IT (not necessarily executive management) hides the truth about IT operations in order to save face.

Another consequence of middle management doing this is that if an IT project is going badly, instead of explaining why things are going wrong and asking for help, they instead expect IT employees to make up for this by working overtime to make up for it. I especially saw this with system administrators - they have no say in how IT projects are run yet are simply expected to be on at all hours of the night to make changes so they don't impact systems during business hours. On top of this, there is no recognition when these employees have to do off hours work with no notice, in addition to their normal business hours work.

Also, the health insurance could be better, it's a bit expensive for what you get.

Even though this cons section was long, it's really a good place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a culture where honesty is rewarded instead of punished. Reward your employees if they have to do off hours IT work. Better yet, if 24x7 support is needed, create more shifts. Even better yet, invest effort into solidifying IT processes so that the fear of doing changes during business hours isn't there anymore.

I learned a lot working for them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros: Fabulous benefits from this company Cons: Constant Change at this company Advice to Senior Management: When employees leave, replace them faster More

Great exposure, good company culture, maybe a little tedious at times

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros: A lot of opportunities for professional development (workshops, webinars, etc.),… Cons: Work could get repetitive after a while, not sure if… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.