There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

A good job if you are proactive and can tolerate red tape.

Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good steady pay check. If you network correctly you can find some very technically interesting cutting edge programs. the benefits are good. you get to work a 9/80 schedule (every other friday off). you get three weeks of vacation, flex time and you can work on your off days to build up to two weeks of additional vacation time. They're also ok with you working from home from time to time. Very accommodating as employers go.

Cons

Red tape and excessive process. If you don't network properly you can can easily get pigeon holed in a boring uncreative job. You can spend way too much time doing mind numbing documentation because your following some arcane directive that wasn't originally crafted with your project in mind but which got blindly applied to all programs across the company

cut out 90% of our mandatory processes.

2337 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

LM. Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff  in  Grand Prairie, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Grand Prairie, TX (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Small facilities in Grand Prairie, TX. Many opportunities to get in involved in different areas of system design. Benefits are very good. You get 3 weeks vacation plus 40Hr for medical leave, 401k plan with 50% match up to 4%. People are easy to work with.

Cons

Needs to bring more new programs into this facility.

None

Lockheed Martin is a good place to find stability and experience.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The 9/80 work week is great. It takes about two weeks to get used to, and then you wonder how you lived without it. They are very flexible with work hours (generally; depends on the project) and overtime is available and paid at 1.5 time (again, depends on the project). Medical/dental/vision benefits are great - BCBS. Positive future and stable business - hopefully in spite of the government administration changes and economy downturn.

Cons

As with any huge company, we are riddled with bureaucracy and process. We are working to achieve CMMI level 4 (currently a level 3), so we can expect more processes and more paperwork to slow the actual work. Performance ratings are meaningless. You really aren't rewarded for your good work, other than your manager patting you on the back. As long as you aren't dumb enough to get formal discipline, you'll get an average rating. If you work extra hours and do twice the required work, you'll get an average rating. So, it's a nice place to find stability regardless of effort.

You have to stop turning senior technical people into managers. Just because someone is technically skilled, it doesn't mean they can manage and lead people. We also need Senior Management to be advocates for engineers who sometimes fall prey to poor lower-middle managers and their policies. If you really do want to keep our contracts sold, you have to make sure that those leading them aren't asleep at the wheel.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!