There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin: A Giant In Industry and In Agility

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer
Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin offers a great amount of security and professional growth for a wide variety of career paths due to its size and reach - there are Lockheed Martin facilities in nearly every state and many other countries. Awesome benefits compared to other companies, especially when it comes to relocation to another LM unit. Ease of transfer as well - just find a place you want to live and odds are LM is there already.

Cons

The company is extremely large and tends to move slower than a startup, so if someone is seeking a fast-paced environment, they may not be pleased with this company. The company is also very "politically correct", due to lawsuits and fines, so creativity and the x-factor of workplace synergy can sometimes be stifled.

Keep things simple! Get away from re-hashing the same corporate policies over and over again and start creating true value.

2431 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Lockheed Martin - Beware of HR

Former Employee - Project and Planning Operations Representative in Rockville, MD (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

-The company has a lot of prestige.
    -There are some very talented people working there. Unfortunately, these people are completely unappreciated.
    -Good opportunities to learn on the job and take on more responsibilities (due to short-staffing, unfortunately).

Cons

-Very low pay. If you're going to work for LM, be sure to negotiate aggressively before accepting the job offer. From what I saw, management was always willing to negotiate and there was a lot of variation in what employees with the same job made salary-wise. This variation had NOTHING to do with talent, hard work or qualifications and everything to do with how much you demanded up front. Also, be confident during the interview process, especially when dealing with HR. HR never seemed to know anything about the different departments, so if you sounded like you knew everything, they assumed you knew everything and moved you forward.
    -Once you're at LM, expect minimal pay increases that sometimes don't even cover cost of living.
    -Their merit system is a joke. On the plus side, if you just want to work your 40 hours a week and put minimum effort into your job and maybe spend time with your family, you can do that here and you'll get the same rating as that person working 80 hours who's always going above and beyond and who is a real team player. However, if you're that 80+ hour team player, it doesn't work in your favor and no matter how hard you try, management will always find a reason to not give you that top rating.
    -Non-functioning HR department. Sometimes I was not paid, I did not receive my health benefits the first year on the job due to a "computer glitch," and there were numerous other issues with actually using all the great benefits LM promises. Numerous other co-workers, at least in my division, had similar issues, though none as bad as mine. Basically, LM has a HR helpline that is expected to handle most of your HR issues, including issues with pay. Some of these helpline employees really try, but they only have the most basic information and the whole process is reminiscent of the DMV. For example, when I did not receive a pay check one week, I called my HR rep who told me to call the helpline. I called the helpline and they told me to call the HR rep. I went round and round until my manager and her supervisor, who were wonderful, stepped in and fought for several days to straighten out the situation.
    -Chronic short-staffing. This really depends on how the contract is structured. Some contracts have it so that LM bills the client by the hour. These jobs are very cushy and employees can take forever to get the job done. Our contract was the opposite, we received a set pot of money to work with, so we had 50% of the employees we needed and that we had claimed we would have when we made the bid. What this meant was long hours (sometimes 80-100, usually 60 hours a week), working on holidays (I worked Easter, Fourth of July, Labor Day, for example), and LM was always pushing us to work more while pushing us to be more 'efficient.' At the same time, there were people in the unit who were playing around on the Internet all day, running off to Atlantic City unannounced for several days and who left early at 3pm most days. They were not fired and received the same performance reviews all the other employees received. So if you want to just get by, this is a great company.

Take care of your employees, please. Morale was terrible at the company, largely because of poor HR and overwork. Improve pay.

Work with Drones

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Littleton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Highest paid public works program going!

Cons

Lost incentive for engineering innovation. Projects lead by finance administrators. Get in more trouble if you don't spend all your budget than if you over run your budget. Overruns provide the opportunity for more money from the government.

Hire more engineers. We need the work!

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin