M&T Bank

www.mtb.com
  www.mtb.com
There are newer employer reviews for M&T Bank

A typical big bank looking for opportunities to get more money

Current Employee - Early Stage Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY (US)
Current Employee - Early Stage Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My department has a very flexible schedule, we can make our own schedules month to month as long as we get our 40 hours in per week and work 1 night. Night shifts are usually 12-9pm. About half the employees in my department work nights which is valuable if you enjoy sleeping in. I work day shifts due to my schedule, so I work 1 night shift per week. Also management is great if something comes up and you have to switch your schedule around. We play month end games, and have incentives to try and hit goal. We can earn up to $1000 extra a month on just bonuses.

Cons

Unfortunately I think I have more cons than pros. One big one is the whole training process is horrible. M & T Bank does not train employees significantly enough to insert them into their hiring roles. From the moment I was hired I was trained for only about a week, which consisted of boring classroom experiences just going over material we already had in our employee binders. There are several systems and internet web sites that our department uses; unfortunately M&T Bank doesn't go over the different systems enough and show what employees should avoid in accounts they are looking at.

The next part is fellow employees and etiquette in the workplace. There seems to be no standard whatsoever. Our department kind of becomes a free for all to let employees do whatever they want. If you don't want to answer your phone, you don't. If you want to browse the internet all day, you can. If you want to get up and walk around all day, take long unnecessary breaks, and go smoke 12 times a day, you can. Unfortunately the more productive employees get stuck with their work while they take all these breaks and waste time. Also even though we work as a team, and we have team goals, the workplace is geared more towards individual goals.

The clientele we work with. We are making calls to very disgruntled people for the most part and conversations can go south quickly, also a lot of the calls that come in to collections are blind transfers from customer service or another collections department with little or no heads up to what is happening on the account. This equals massive confusion between the collector and the customer, not to mention about 50% of the calls that come in don't even belong in the right area of the bank.

I don't think all departments at M&T Bank are like mine, but mine seems to be filled with smoking, time wasting, talking-and-doing-anything except work people. It starts with the top down, and management seems to support this kind of environment as well.

291 Other Employee Reviews for M&T Bank (View Most Recent)

problem with management.....TOO BAD!!

Current Employee - Customer Representative I in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative I in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation time based on tenure, but 6 months in you get 2 weeks.

Cons

Where do i start....

1)They're cheap- I started out making about $11. Now I make $13 Not for a job well done, but because we merged with another bank who paid better.(they had to even out the salaries across the footprint) This has happened twice since 'Ive been there. The last time a raise was given in our office was a laughable quarter of a percent; which turned out to be about penny. There is always a reason your not getting a raise! So sad

2)Management- If you have a problem with your manager, you can call human resources. But they wont show, instead you have a meeting with your boss and a higher up who basically suggests that you either deal with it or find another job(Also happened twice)

3)Only concerned with their bottom line. Not concerned enough with employee morale. It affects the environment and the quality of the work

Bottom Line- You CAN do better!

Care a little more about who you put in charge of your people. Unhappy employees make for an unhappy bottom line

Fairly Good Company in unstable banking times

Current Employee - Accountant in Wilmington, DE (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company has had over 135 quarters of straight profits. Stable-does not look to merge with larger banks.

Cons

Certain employees with many years and experience are not promoted to Officers of the bank (extra perks such as bonuses) when other people with purely generous managers are promote (title/pay) with a yr or 2 tenure. Luck of the draw!

Make sure HR works to ensure each person has a career path. Not everyone does. For someone who likes the culture of the bank, they may leave because of immobility.

There are newer employer reviews for M&T Bank