There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer  in  McLean, VA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

The benefits are fantastic. The entire company operates using an "open-door" policy - almost everyone there is willing to stop what they're doing to answer questions about the work they're doing. There are lots of training opportunities, in a range of fields. The company is very responsive to employee questions and concerns (at least for a company its size. I love working here.

Cons

If you don't want to do government contracting, this is not the place for you, obviously.

none

435 Other Employee Reviews for MITRE (View Most Recent)

MITRE doesn't build systems.

Former Employee - Information Architect  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Architect in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at MITRE

Pros

This was the disclaimer that several hiring managers made when I came to an open house in 2004 with some years of systems integration experience on my resume. However, MITRE does develop some sophisticated prototypes for the government. I appreciate my five years of varied planning studies, such as technology evaluations and functional requirements. As an adviser, there are some opportunities to help the government make good decisions based on some level of objectivity. The MITRE campus is a fairly collegial environment. I greatly appreciate MITRE's generous retirement contributions.

Cons

Leadership skills are important, but politics can be problematic, both within MITRE and at government sites. It can be challenging to return to mainstream system integration after spending five years with Microsoft Office. MITRE supports continuing education, but budgets for internal training are limited. The corporation has grown substantially in recent years but still relies largely on personal networking for internal staffing. The employee ranking process can be a painful exercise. Prospective hires should also be aware that MITRE policy strictly prohibits employment references, if they ever need to change jobs.

With the rapidly changing technologies facing the government - and sometimes originating from MITRE - I hope that the corporation maintains the agility it needs to provide differentiated value in these challenging times.

Far and away the best of several employers.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

1. Great colleagues - Incredible wealth of knowledge and experience available from people willing to help.

2. Very satisfying work - Vast variety of projects and types of work with emphasis on best solving the right problem, not the most profitable (been there, done that - there is a difference).

3. Fantastic work/personal balance.

4. Justifiably in Fortune's Top 100 Places to Work for 9 years - Good at lots of stuff that counts.

Cons

1. Not for fresh-outs or newbies (unless you have a PhD, want to do research, and chose MITRE over a college) - Get some real-world experience to temper your learning: flame some electronics, choke some computers, and watch a contract grind down in dueling depositions.

2. Yeah, they have the occasional bad manager - The Peter Principle is, after all, a universal principle, and yeah, the lack of effectiveness rubs off on the underlings. Life goes on.

3. Recognition goes to the flashy demo - Not unlike the real world, but here it isn't temper by the facts of did it make money or not.

Feedback: From the bottom looking up, it looks like good work on the right path.

Suggestion: Based on the backgrounds and demonstrated skills of various employees observed over 15+ years, resolve the apparent inconsistencies between conditions for hiring a person into a grade level compared with those for promoting a person to the same level. (Yes, I know, this isn't unique to MITRE, and personally, I feel fairly compensated; it isn't just about me; please work to resolve it.)

There are newer employer reviews for MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!