There are newer employer reviews for Macy's

Good, Stable place to start out

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

flexible and stable working environment. Many employees have been at the company for a long time and they are great people to work with. Fabulous exec at the top. Great communicators.

Cons

Limited opportunities beyond manager level.

Keep up the good job.. we will get there with our strategies

4934 Other Employee Reviews for Macy's (View Most Recent)

Macy's can be a roller coaster ride, depending on your manager..

Former Employee - Placement Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Placement Merchandiser in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Macy's gave decent pay for my position, this could be because it was an early morning shift and because I was a college graduate. They give 10 employee paid days off after 1 year, offer a great discount on top of sale prices and offer special sales to employee friends and family a few times a year. If you have the right manager and a good team, it can be very rewarding, fun experience.

Cons

Macy's has a tendency to hire poor managers resulting in a high level of manager turnover. I don't know if its simply poor managers or poor training. Of course retail hours aren't always great especially during the holidays. They have a tendency to rely on gossip as their form of communication rather than being straight forward with their employees. By the time they address an issue, it usually becomes too late, after several people have quit.

Hire managers who have had experience with people and have them learn all aspects of the positions in which they are managing.

Do NOT work for Macy's West

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Macy's

Pros

You are required to only work 8 hours a day or you go into over-time. Even for corporate employees.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Many people at Director and or VP level are idiots. The benefits suck. A lot of employees are unhappy and morale is low.

They need to get out and let some new, fresh perspectives in! Senior management is out of touch.

There are newer employer reviews for Macy's