Makerbot

www.makerbot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot

Worker bee

Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)
Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

be nice to your employees

59 Other Employee Reviews for Makerbot (View Most Recent)

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

Passionate employees, underpaid

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Engineers are passionate about 3D printing and creating a great product
    -Fun work environment (lots of young people)
    -Smartest people I've ever worked with
    -Good work life balance

Cons

-Pay is a joke (especially for engineers, it's far under the national average)
    -Employees keep leaving for better paying jobs
    --ad communication between departments

Justifying your low wages based on being a startup and having a "cool" culture is not a sustainable practice. The Makerbot name attracts good engineers, and then they leave for better paying jobs. Pay your employees what they deserve so they stay around for more than a year.

There are newer employer reviews for Makerbot