Makerbot

www.makerbot.com

Amazing potential...going down the drain.

(Former Employee)

ProsThe work environment is great -- when you'd not being blindsided by incompetent, reactive calls from the top.

First off, the company basically created the market for 3d printers aimed at consumers. They were the first to offer a 3d printer priced within reach of average people; now there's a thriving market segment which does just that. Starting a whole new market (ok, segment of a market) sets some really high expectations, and is quite exciting.

Second, MakerBot's staff were (and the ones that remain still are) without exception the best team I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The average worker there is exceptional -- if not totally brilliant, then tenacious, driven, and quality-minded. This applies to both the original team and the more experienced crew who succeeded them after the first round of people were pushed out.

Getting things done there was also a pleasure -- most processes are lean, and there's not too much bureaucracy, at least compared to a large company. People were amazingly positive for the most part. At times, this was certainly the best job of my career. People liked to have fun when they weren't working hard...and often when they were.

ConsThe downsides, unfortunately, have come to outweigh the positives. Top management, especially the CEO, are in a desperate, reactive mode that threatens to destroy the company.

The worst thing is their attitude towards employees. A lot of MakerBot's previous job postings would append "-bot" to the end of the job title to be cutesy. Unfortunately, this seems to belie their understanding of employees -- it's as if they think that people should actually be treated as robots. That is: paid very little, replaced without much thought, and never listened to. It's as if they really don't understand that a company _is_ its employees -- especially a company with a team as amazing as the one at MakerBot.

MakerBot has had a very high turnover, which is absolutely unnecessary considering how great much of the experience is. Someone else here has used the term "toxic" to describe the work environment -- that is, unfortunately, the exact word for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and community. Rein in the Founder/CEO before he destroys everything; he's in way over his head.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros: Leading edge technology - in a developing marketplace. Opportunities everywhere. Cons: Crazy startup, lots going on, growing like mad. Advice to Senior Management: Stay the course - hang on and great things are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

toxic workplace.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great people doing the work. 3D printing is the future. Cons: I've been here less than a year, but here goes: We just launched a new product yet morale is at an all-time low - and the… Advice to Senior Management: what's there to say? This can't work long term, but… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Makerbot.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!