There are newer employer reviews for Mapjects

Consultant, Business Analyst

Former Employee - Economic and Financial Analyst
Former Employee - Economic and Financial Analyst

I worked at Mapjects as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, I had meaningful and interesting problems to solve, good clients, impact on the world, and surrounded by brilliant & caring people. I was never stressed and truly enjoyed the work, we finished our work a couple months early, and I was able to provide feedback into another project.

Another distinctive and unique pro - they have their own tools, when I say that, I mean they've BUILT THEIR OWN tools, and I love the Mapjects tools!!!!

I spend a lot of time on requirements, economic and data analysis, this is easily they best toolset, I feel a little sad about leaving them and my laptop behind. I understand its their IP, but they should consider polishing it and marketing the tools. The tools can help visualize trends in some very unique ways, I was able to look for fraud, or patterns on transactions and relationships, and it was beautiful.

Cons

They would do better if they patented some of their ideas, got them talking though.

These guys drink tea, I missed coffee, but the tea was milky, they called it chai... I did enjoy it, and cheaper than Starbucks, but mapjects still needs to get a coffee pot.

You need a veteran with some connections in sales, someone who can break the ice. Regardless of how good your products and services are, relationships matter.

Invest in an industry veteran with a commission structure, you will see better results.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Mapjects (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, very flexible and focused.

Former Employee - Consultant - Operations Research in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant - Operations Research in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Mapjects

Pros

A very innovative company, Mapjects actually brings ideas to life, and that too exceptionally fast.

They took me and my work seriously, in most places management doesn't listen, they "direct", here I felt my feedback was appreciated. Loved it here.

A small firm with a bright future!

Cons

They should do more social events, and get out there so people know about them. I understand they're small and revenue can be tight, but a worthwhile investment if you ask me.

Good luck and get out more :)

The best experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Mapjects

Pros

I got to work on what I liked, and came out polished and confident with a sense of pride, so I loved every day of the work.

Initially I was in Mapjects products (Energy Management Systems, Fraud detection, Data visualizations, GIS, BI) and moved to consulting side. So, they trained me ground up on their core products and invested in me without rushing me - For e.g. firms like Accenture put you on the meter, i.e. you have to bill the client to make a paycheck all the time, but here we were more resources they invested and educated, I truly appreciated that effort.

Now to aspect of my work, I came from a sales background, so it took me sometime to come up to speed, and I had all the support I needed, so I loved it, they also have some of the most weird/curious equipments in their prototype/labs. I was able to make a difference, succeed and deliver. I am a "groupie", there was a lot of collaboration, sharing and brainstorming, and these sessions were the core of our engineering sessions, we first mapped out what we understand and went after the goals for the products or the client's objectives. In summary, I liked how they gave me the freedom and still kept me focused - it was a lot of fun!

My horizons grew, because I learned a lot about emerging technologies and trends, like smartgrid, 13514, energy management, financial risk OFAC, PHR, Health Care, Environmental sustainability. This is probably the most important for me, since lot of companies bring you in to use your skills and don't invest, but Mapjects really invested in me when I was between projects, they truly believed in learning. They have some amazing relationships with universities, and companies.

I did get to travel internationally once, I wasn't sure about it, worked out well though, (I lost 25 lbs, and learned a new language) and it was a true eye opening experience.

It all summed up to a very fun experience, great place to work.

Cons

Very little hands on management, i.e. the philosophy was you're adults and motivated through work. While this is a great thing, I felt some of my other colleagues/consultants didn't invest the same time I did. So, I would have liked some more "hands-on" management. Needless to say, their tenure was short lived!

Invest in marketing.
    Polish your products - they are amazing, let the world know!!
    Invest in management layer.
    The owners don't believe in VC, but angel funds would seriously help you grow much faster.
    Good luck in your future, I hope to work with you soon.

There are newer employer reviews for Mapjects