MasterCard
www.mastercard.com Purchase, NY 5000+ Employees

Great Brand, Good working conditions but difficult environment to get things done

Market Leader (Former Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard

ProsEverybody has heard of the company, you don't need to explain what your employer does. And for newbies to the industry, MCW does a great job of orientation and training new employees. The company offers good benefits and pay, though they have been pared significantly for new hires since 2007. The Purchase HQ and grounds are a beautiful place to work, but isolated if you're used to the bustle of Manhattan.

ConsMCW is a remarkably bureaucratic environment and often hard to get things done in timely, efficient manner. For all the talk about acting with a sense of urgency, even a simple project can drag on for months--thanks to the "matrixed" environment, buy-in and consensus is required for just about everything, and is often an excuse for manager and lawyers who don't know anything to stick their fingers into your project. (In fairness, I've been told this is beginning to change under the new CEO who just came in.) But an awful lot of what I did was "meta"-work -- work we had to do to prove to somebody else in the organization why we should be allowed to do our real work our way.

Advice to Senior ManagementReducing the number of meetings and strip out the bureaucracy would allow employees to actually get on and do their jobs.

Observe and Learn - Is almost non existent

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: Compensation and work-life balance is among the best (except for peak seasons, which is normal in the financial and retail industries).… Cons: Excessive management layers and bureaucracies. No true channel for bottoms-up communication. Observing and learning from successful companies (e.g. Google, Apple, Walmart) and avoiding pitfalls from… Advice to Senior Management: Walk the talk. The vision and strategy in place is great. Execute… More

thoughts on mastercard

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros: Talented co-workers, fairly innovative, good benefits. Cons: difficult to move professionally, management is weak Advice to Senior Management: There is a need for critical management skills such as;… More

There are newer reviews on MasterCard.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.